Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

I propose

Need help? You can contact us here or at http://www.eaxia.com/feedback

I propose

Postby SMARK » Apr 14, 2006 (8:38 pm)

That the tournament be posponed until combat is done.
SMARK
Veteran Forums Adventurer

Postby HANAFAE » Apr 14, 2006 (9:09 pm)

I *think* its suppose to be finished before it begins. Unless there were unforseen complications.
Hanafae
~*~RubyMonger~*~
HANAFAE
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby SMARK » Apr 14, 2006 (9:17 pm)

oh...I did not know that. What time are the festivities supposed to begin?
SMARK

Postby HANAFAE » Apr 14, 2006 (9:22 pm)

Lieza said gates open at 5 and the tourney starts at 7:30. And of course thats Elven Standard Time. *winks*
Hanafae
~*~RubyMonger~*~
HANAFAE
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby OPHELIA » Apr 15, 2006 (1:11 pm)

HANAFAE wrote:I *think* its suppose to be finished before it begins. Unless there were unforseen complications.

GDEXXY (on April 5) wrote:We're hoping to have the new combat system live before the tournament begins, which addresses most of the concerns here. Hopefully by this upcoming weekend, giving you guys a chance to get a feel for it before the event.

So, it looks like there were unforseen complications. I'd be surprised if he whipped out new combat just as the gates were opening.

~Plinnya's people
OPHELIA

Postby SMARK » Apr 15, 2006 (1:18 pm)

I'd be surprised if he whipped out new combat just as the gates were opening.

I'd never be suprised by anything Exxy whipped out at any point in time, combat related or otherwise.

Smark
SMARK

Postby ellisj » Apr 15, 2006 (6:41 pm)

i would, i'd be surprised if he got it done when he said
ellisj
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby Aethacyn » Apr 15, 2006 (6:45 pm)

Blahh I'm sad...
no combat.. :/
Aethacyn
Aethacyn
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby GDEXXY » Apr 15, 2006 (7:03 pm)

Hello all!

I've been working around the clock to try and have the new combat finished in time for the tournament, but I did not want to release the new systems:

(a) with any of its defining features unfinished or untested
(b) without plenty of time for everyone to try it out and understand its new concepts
(c) without plenty of time for everyone to acquire new equipment and have their old equipment upgraded (for alterations and other special items)

There's a lot to this combat rewrite -- in fact, it shouldn't even be called a 'rewrite' because it looms over and into 70% of the playable game, including magic, NPCs, how equipment works, new shops and drop tables, etc. The entire dynamic of fighting creatures (and each other) both solo and in groups has been (done) re-evaluated and it's going to take huge adjustments on your part to re-learn how combat and related systems work.

Even if I had released it a week before the tournament, it's probably good that I didn't because many of you would be participating unfairly -- not knowing your strengths and weaknesses and ill equipped for the event. Not to mention it'd be very difficult on everyone to launch an event and find out that something is buggy or broken because it wasn't thoroughly tested.

I know many of you are disappointed and frustrated that it wasn't released in time for this event, but I'd rather you be upset with me for another week or two and then be excited and marvel at the new system when it's released in its full glory than for you to get bits and pieces of it without proper testing and time to learn how it works.

I hope you're all enjoying the tournament and participating in it as the last big event before the combat release as well as an opportunity to role-play together. We have nearly a dozen new staff hired and trained over the past month and I look forward to seeing a lot of new, quality improvements come swiftly to us all. I'm excited!

As for the new combat that you're all waiting for -- its status is further than you may think. Most of the hardcore coding is done and tested and the majority of my time is now being spent on the fine details such as balancing and re-balancing NPC stats and experience, health, mana, and experience awards, etc. Filling gaps between combat levels. Fleshing out the way skills work for the new combat. Prettying up messaging. Giving NPCs equipment such as real weapons and armor. Etc., etc.

It's such a huge and complicated project that I have had the simultaneous burden and excitement of developing. I'm very proud of it and I've been waiting a long time to share its advancements with you all. Have just a little more patience while we're on the home stretch. :)
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby SMARK » Apr 15, 2006 (8:13 pm)

Even if I had released it a week before the tournament, it's probably good that I didn't because many of you would be participating unfairly -- not knowing your strengths and weaknesses and ill equipped for the event.

Many of us were already competing unfairly because of how broken PvP is. It would have leveled the playing field if evryone was working from scratch, but their abilities transfered to PvP. As it was, many of us were ill-equipped for the event. The tournament should have been postponed.

Smark
SMARK

Postby GDIRIS » Apr 15, 2006 (8:30 pm)

I understand where many of you are coming from, but I want to point out that is was purely for the RP of it. I plan on having this as an annual thing, so eventually it will be more fair when it comes to the PvP aspect of it. But overall, give me some feedback on it! What did you love, or didn't like so much....And yes I know combat wasn't up, so no more about that!

GD Iris and team.
GDIRIS
Eaxia Online senior staff
Eaxia Online senior staff

Postby SMARK » Apr 15, 2006 (9:09 pm)

Well, if it was strictly for RP, then why were magic itmes not allowed? And for that matter, why weren't non-magic items allowed that anyone can find? Titanium weapons, my non-magical sap, my decent light armor wasn't allowed, even though barbs don't affect PvP, which is a guild ability akin to the magic others cast.

A rules poster by the sign-up list would have been nice too, I wouldn't have entered.

Competitors will be able to sign up for feats of strength where you will be able to test your mettle against other adventurers for prizes and glory!

That doesn't really describe what the competiton was about.

Smark
SMARK

Postby WONDERWOMAN » Apr 15, 2006 (11:19 pm)

I think it turned out really well. There were more people present this evening then I have seen in a long while. We were mostly congregated in one place talking and having a good time. Yes it sucks that the PvP mechanics are completely messed up, but for the two minutes I was actually fighting, out of the 3 hours I was there and having a good time, really didn't matter. I hope that in the future we can have more planned events and even better turn outs then there was tonight. Whether combat was done or not isn't really important, it was nice to see some that I havent in a long time, like you Smark and others.
WONDERWOMAN
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby Aethacyn » Apr 16, 2006 (12:46 am)

I'll admit I did enjoy seeing many of the older people around and active... Was good times, Just longer to wait for combat.
Aethacyn
Aethacyn
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby OPHELIA » Apr 16, 2006 (6:05 am)

GDEXXY wrote:Hello all!

I've been working around the clock to try and have the new combat finished in time for the tournament, but I did not want to release the new systems:

(b) without plenty of time for everyone to try it out and understand its new concepts
(c) without plenty of time for everyone to acquire new equipment and have their old equipment upgraded (for alterations and other special items)

I'd *much* rather wait until you have it the way you want it. The tournament was fun, regardless of whether combat is broken or not. Thanks so much for putting it together.

You had posted before that the new system would require "fixing" some equipment, so it makes sense that it would need some seasoning before we know how it all works and use it well.

Again, thanks, it was good fun!

~Plinnya's people
OPHELIA

Postby Aethacyn » Apr 16, 2006 (10:07 am)

OPHELIA wrote:
GDEXXY wrote:Hello all!

I'd *much* rather wait until you have it the way you want it. The tournament was fun, regardless of whether combat is broken or not. Thanks so much for putting it together.

You had posted before that the new system would require "fixing" some equipment, so it makes sense that it would need some seasoning before we know how it all works and use it well.

Again, thanks, it was good fun!

~Plinnya's people

Your lying! you were saying how bored you were if I Recall!
Aethacyn
Aethacyn
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby GROVENBURGER » Apr 16, 2006 (2:01 pm)

All in all I was rather pleased with the fact we all had to use equal weapons. Titanium do appraise as doing more damage by the way which is why we couldn't use those. Of course if there had been some available for all then that wouldn't have been a problem. Jake was allowed to use his spear - and still lost in first round - although Gord definately felt those pokes :wink: . The spears in the box were halfspears and Jake uses Shortspears (the ones we make in the forge- his nightwood spear appraises exactly equal to the forged ones so was no advantage.) That is his main weapon and always has been.

Unfortunantly I had to take off early for personal reasons. Is one reason I didn't bother having Daty sign up because I knew I couldn't last that long into the events. My youngins had a blast even though Groo forgot to use his ANTI-Halfling tactics to protect his ankles - which is how Neeno got him I'm sure :P . Always good to meet a new merchant even if she didn't care for one of mine kicking around her chickens! :twisted:
I'm looking forward to new combat - I'm kinda glad it wasn't ready for this because as Exxy pointed out there would be no way we'd have our combat tactics figured out for an event like this - then again that might be one of the best ways for us to try differant tactics out against differant opponents. -or- Perhaps something similar to the tryouts for the royal guard we had back quite a ways that never quite got completed would be a good way to test combat against creatues? Just a thought. Maybe make it a differant competition. 8-)
The Dread Pirate Datymin and crew!

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby SMARK » Apr 16, 2006 (2:35 pm)

Unfortunantly I had to take off early for personal reasons. Is one reason I didn't bother having Daty sign up because I knew I couldn't last that long into the events

Anyone that uses Heavy Armor had a chance.

My youngins had a blast even though Groo forgot to use his ANTI-Halfling tactics to protect his ankles - which is how Neeno got him I'm sure

Neeno got you because Bard spells give a much to high bonus. Sometimes doubling, trippling to-hit rate.

Smark
SMARK

Postby GROVENBURGER » Apr 16, 2006 (2:51 pm)

Neeno got me because Groo missed first two swings - with 21 raw strength if I had hit woulda been squished halfling - he needed that bonus - I was surprised to go down with one hit though with my stamina.
I did get first swing after charging him so basically just missed my chance by missing with my best skilled weapons. I have no complaints there. He deserved the win. Missles were at a disadvantage though until new system kicks in I admit.

Bennie lost because I was stupid and forgot to use unarmed combat. I meant to go with unarmed just got booted and came in rushed because was late and kinda had a brain fart. Although no armor under the old system is definately at a major disadvantage vs someone in Plate I do admit. Next time will be differant there hopefully since the guys in heavy will be slower. That is one case where new vs the old made a major differance I agree. Also not sure if the STRIKE command works in PvP yet, but I'm sure it will under the new.

Either way it was a fun event and even the losers got some really nice prizes, although I think I closed my portal before getting one. My martial artist has little use for the giant back sheath (with the awesome look description ) until they get some exotic martial art weapons developed anyways. Truthfully coming in second got you the neatest prizes but they all were pretty awesome prizes for all the competitors. Kudoes for that to all the GM's involved, and for the roleplay they did (Especially the bouncer!!! :twisted:

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GROVENBURGER » Apr 16, 2006 (3:05 pm)

SMARK wrote:
Unfortunantly I had to take off early for personal reasons. Is one reason I didn't bother having Daty sign up because I knew I couldn't last that long into the events

Anyone that uses Heavy Armor had a chance.

Smark

Oh I wasn't talking about his skills, in fact I think he'd have had a fair chance based on skills and stats. I'm having some vision problems that get to me after being in front of the computer very long, at least until my body can adjust to the change just means I'll be getting off to rest every now and then, and I knew the diamond event would be too far along time wise.

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby AJBOYLE2001 » Apr 16, 2006 (9:07 pm)

Only thing I was disappointed in was the fact that I added my name to the list to compete in the gold round, when the bronze round had just started. And then the gold round ended without my name being called. If the list was closed, it shouldn't have allowed me to add my name.

Mattie Macumba
Last edited by AJBOYLE2001 on Apr 17, 2006 (7:39 pm), edited 1 time in total.
AJBOYLE2001
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby OPHELIA » Apr 17, 2006 (5:19 am)

Aethacyn wrote:Your lying! you were saying how bored you were if I Recall!

Did I? Oh, then it must have gotten *much* more fun and exciting after you left. <hums>

~Plinnya's people
OPHELIA

Return to General