Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

This is what this game does to people (Koo-koo, koo-koo)

Need help? You can contact us here or at http://www.eaxia.com/feedback

This is what this game does to people (Koo-koo, koo-koo)

Postby JAYMO » Feb 18, 2005 (10:40 pm)

I really tried to be patient and help.

Talia whispers, "this game needs to consider getting proper mentors, this place is plain unhelpful for new starts"
>
Keltaen slings a polished magnolia recurved longbow with a leather wrapped grip over his shoulder.
You notice Mo slip into a hiding spot.
Lanua comes out of hiding.
Lanua gestures at S'okol and he looks like he feels better.
>
Keltaen snuggles Lieza.
>
Feanaro comes out of hiding, apparently having made an attempt at Lieza's coins.
>
S'okol chuckles.
>
Keltaen rummages through a polished black leather harness for a moment.
>
You notice Lanua slip into a hiding spot.
>
Keltaen chuckles.
>whisp tal care to go somewhere quiet?
You whisper to Talia.
>
Lieza pokes Keltaen in the belly.
>
You hear the voice of Lanua ask, "ima do what?"
>
Feanaro searches around for something.
>
Keltaen leans against Lieza.
>
Talia nods to you.
>
You hear the voice of Lanua say, "shhh fean"
>
You notice Feanaro slip into a hiding spot.
>info

>
Lieza grins at Keltaen.
>
You hear a meep coming from the shadows.
>
* Brendal Wyne joins the adventure.
>hold tal
You reach over and hold Talia's hand.
>l
[Semanri, South Town Square]
Set beneath the protective cover and shade of a silk awning, the South Town Square doubles as the courtyard of a hulking conglomeration of buildings and businesses huddled into a single entity at the south side of the street. Lining the building's facade are entrances to the shops, the largest belonging to the Bank of Semanri in the form of a silvered arch, next to which the doorway of Bartle's Armor stands open.
Other life here: none.
You also see: a donation box, some silvered benches, a huge dome building, a recycle bin, a brightly-colored striped silk tent, a round wooden door, and a sad-looking statue of Goharo.
You are inside.
Also here: Keltaen, Hoplite RedRuby who is sitting on some silvered benches, Forester Ryarter, Bard Heroine Lieza, Commoner Talia, S'okol, and Paladin Nazca who is sitting on some silvered benches.
Obvious exits: east, south, and west.
>
Keltaen gets a forest green crystal fragment from inside his pack.
>
Feanaro comes out of hiding.
>s
[Semanri, Oran Boulevard]
An arch leads through a low stone wall to the older business district to the north. Ivy clings to the sides of the wall partially concealing the crumbling mortar beneath. The faint image of an eagle with wings spread is visible along the top of the arch. You can't help but also notice a large, black diamond towering across the street with a makeshift gate carved into its face.
The moon shines brightly above a cloudless sky.
Also here: Commoner Talia.
Obvious exits: north, south, and up.
>s
[Semanri, Oran Boulevard]
The massive turrets and towers of an ancient castle look down upon the road from the eastern side, flying ragged banners. The quiet noise of the city's residents lingers through the air, bringing a surreal quality to the area, as if the ghosts of ages past were roaming the halls of the massive fortress.
You also see: a challenge arena.
The moon shines brightly above a cloudless sky.
Obvious exits: north and south.
>go are
You enter the challenge arena.

[Semanri, Challenge Arena]
A plain dirt floor marred with rust colored splotches runs the length of the arena, surrounded by thick, block walls. A small desk sits in one area of the arena, and a large iron gate stands directly across from it, leading to an area where some of the fiercest creatures of the land are kept caged away. Another reinforced door provides entry to the arena, but otherwise, the area is quite secure.
You also see: an empty vial, an oak desk, a large clipboard, a wooden chair (two), a flight arrow (thirty), a crossbow quarrel (fourteen), a coruscating gold sickle decorated with flower-shaped engravings, a steel dagger, and a heavy mace.
You are inside.
Obvious exits: out.
>bow tal
You bow to Talia.
>heal
You feel completely healthy.
>
Talia curtsies to you.
>'where to begin...
You say, "where to begin..."
>
Talia says, "if I seem angry or curt it's nothing to do with you"
>whisp tal I was pissed when I started out too.
You whisper to Talia.
>nod tal
You nod to Talia.
>
Talia says, "I'm very close to ditching this"
>'first day in the Lands?
You ask, "first day in the Lands?"
>
Talia asks, "who runs this place? haven't they been asked to have mentors in this place?"
>
Talia nods to you.
>
Talia says, "first 10 mins in this place and I already hate it"
>whisp tal this game was started by a guy who used to work for DR
You whisper to Talia.
>
Talia says, "well He seriously needs to figure out the basics"
>whisp tal the game is essentially still in beta for lack of a better term
You whisper to Talia.
>nod tal
You nod to Talia.
>'agreed
You say, "agreed"
>
Talia says, "He can't assume that everyone's going to immediately know what his game plan is"
>whisp any idea which direction you're thinking of going Guild-wise?
I could not find who you were referring to.
>
Talia says, "right about now I'm feeling ready to slap him about some"
>'any idea which direction you're thinking of going Guild-wise?
You ask, "any idea which direction you're thinking of going Guild-wise?"
>
Talia says, "sheesh I don't even know what guilds there are"
>
Talia says, "heck I don't even know what race I am"
>l tal
You see Commoner Talia Icaran, an Avian Peasant.
She has short, straight brown hair that is loose, light skin, full-sized wings with white feathers, and silver-flecked black eyes.
She has a trim body.

She is holding nothing in her right hand and a forest green crystal fragment in her left hand.
She is wearing a red-and-orange ensyiatite bracelet carved with Elven runes, some leather leggings, a white linen shirt, a leather shoulder pack, a leather sheath, and some studded leather armor.
>'you look Avian to me. the wings are a dead giveaway
You say, "you look Avian to me. the wings are a dead giveaway"
>smirk
You smirk.
>
Talia says, "it looks like DR but it doesn't feel like DR"
>l
A plain dirt floor marred with rust colored splotches runs the length of the arena, surrounded by thick, block walls. A small desk sits in one area of the arena, and a large iron gate stands directly across from it, leading to an area where some of the fiercest creatures of the land are kept caged away. Another reinforced door provides entry to the arena, but otherwise, the area is quite secure.
You also see: an empty vial, an oak desk, a large clipboard, a wooden chair (two), a flight arrow (thirty), a crossbow quarrel (fourteen), a coruscating gold sickle decorated with flower-shaped engravings, a steel dagger, and a heavy mace.
You are inside.
>
Talia asks, "yeah and what the heck is an Avian?"
>'well I can tell you its not close to DR. this game has only been around for a couple of years
You say, "well I can tell you its not close to DR. this game has only been around for a couple of years"
>
Talia says, "it's not even like AOH"
>'a bird-type
You say, "a bird-type"
>
Talia says, "and I really don't think I can be bothered with it if it's going to be this bad to begin with"
>nod tal
You nod to Talia.
>'understandable
You say, "understandable"
>
Talia says, "I'd rather wait till it's got some level of sophistication in a few years"
>
Talia says, "it's the blind leading the blind in here"
>chort
You chortle quietly.
>'thanks
You say, "thanks"
>
Talia says, "tell me I'm wrong"
>
Talia says, "well think about it"
>pon
You ponder.
>
Talia says, "you were in the same position as me when you started out, and no matter how much you think you've learnt you're bound to have missed things out"
>
Talia says, "so you'll teach me some of what you know, but not all of what you know, just like you was taught....and the cycle will perpetuate"
>'true, but at least I know how to experiment and study the game mechanics a bit
You say, "true, but at least I know how to experiment and study the game mechanics a bit"
>
Talia says, "I'm not interested in studying the game mechanics, I'm here to play the game"
>
Talia says, "but the game itself precludes that possibility"
>
Talia says, "by not having something as simple as a mentor I am left with no choice but to speak out of character to even figure out the basics"
>'are you? because so far all you've done is complain, which I understand. I'll help but not if it's going to be for naught. I'd like to anyhow
You say, "are you? because so far all you've done is complain, which I understand. I'll help but not if it's going to be for naught. I'd like to anyhow"
>'there are mentors so to speak. it's just that none are on. actually they're game staff but still
You say, "there are mentors so to speak. it's just that none are on. actually they're game staff but still"
>
Talia says, "I'm pissed off because I was given this whole line about how great this place was and it's turned out to be worthless"
>'from who?
You ask, "from who?"
>
Talia says, "from my sister"
>'and are you paying?
You ask, "and are you paying?"
>
Talia says, "of course not, I wouldn't pay for this"
>'then perhaps you should go back to DR and pay. This game is in it's infant stages
You say, "then perhaps you should go back to DR and pay. This game is in it's infant stages"
>
Talia says, "I noticed"
>
Talia says, "and like I said, I don't have the patience for it when it's as bad as this"
>'then leave. that's pretty simple.
You say, "then leave. that's pretty simple."
>
Talia says, "if I can't even use something as basic as Directions which is in every other Simutronics game then I really don't see the point in wondering around aimlessly"
>'this isn't a simu game. read a map
You say, "this isn't a simu game. read a map"
>
Talia says, "I can't read maps"
>'why not?
You ask, "why not?"
>
Talia says, "that's WHY is use DIR"
>l tal
She has short, straight brown hair that is loose, light skin, full-sized wings with white feathers, and silver-flecked black eyes.
She has a trim body.

She is holding nothing in her right hand and a forest green crystal fragment in her left hand.
She is wearing a red-and-orange ensyiatite bracelet carved with Elven runes, some leather leggings, a white linen shirt, a leather shoulder pack, a leather sheath, and some studded leather armor.
>'why can't you read a map?
You ask, "why can't you read a map?"
>
Talia says, "I can't translate the maps into the game directions, I get lost"
>'so then, it's more than just the games fault, yes?
You ask, "so then, it's more than just the games fault, yes?"
>
Talia says, "I've never been able to use maps in any of the Simutronics games"
>
Talia says, "it's the games fault if they don't have DIR, every other game does"
>'I think the problems you're having extend a little bit beyond gaming in general
You say, "I think the problems you're having extend a little bit beyond gaming in general"
>
Talia says, "the game should be tailored to the user, it can't assume that every user is going to be an expert"
>
Talia says, "this game currently expects that"
>
Talia says, "I don't have problems with DR or AOH, I just have a problem with this place"
>
* Brendal Wyne returns home from a hard day of adventuring.
>'I've never heard of someone not being able to read a map, so you're the exception to the rule
You say, "I've never heard of someone not being able to read a map, so you're the exception to the rule"
>l tal
She has a trim body.

>
Talia says, "bullshit"
>
* Monk Initiate Goryn Barglave joins the adventure.
>
Talia says, "there's plenty of people who find the maps hard to translate into wizard"
>
Talia says, "why do you think the other games are so popular"
>'so was it help you wanted, or was it someone to listen to you bitch?

What you just typed is in violation of our player agreement policy.

Please consider this message an official caution for you to be more careful and aware of what you type and how it may be perceived by other players.

If you have any questions regarding our player policy or this particular violation, please send us an e-mail at: ServXXX@XXXXX.XXX

>
Talia says, "if it was so great without DIR then everyone would be here for free. but they're not"
>'so was it help you wanted, or was it someone to listen to you moan?
You ask, "so was it help you wanted, or was it someone to listen to you moan?"
>l tal
She has a trim body.

>
Talia says, "basically I want to figure out how the heck to get hold of an actual Mentor"
>
Talia says, "or GH or GM"
>'for what? you already said you don't want to play this game?
You ask, "for what? you already said you don't want to play this game?"
>think this Avian is priceless
>
You focus your energy on your thoughts for a moment and project them through your ring.

[Roundtime: 2 seconds]
>who full
Talia says, "because they ought to know what they could do to make this game more user friendly"
>
Players in Eaxia Online:
Goryn Arkahn Keltaen Mo
Rheba Ryarter RedRuby Lanua
Talia Karel Obould Feanaro
Lieza Nazca S'okol Astrid

Normal Dead New

Staff on-duty (off-duty staff will not appear on this list):

>
Talia seems to be focusing intently on a red-and-orange ensyiatite bracelet carved with Elven runes.
>'well go ahead and drop them an e-mail
You say, "well go ahead and drop them an e-mail"
>
Talia asks, "yeah, like where??"
>'like on their e-mail, or post on the boards
You say, "like on their e-mail, or post on the boards"
>heal
You feel completely healthy.
>think not in comparison
>
You focus your energy on your thoughts for a moment and project them through your ring.

[Roundtime: 2 seconds]
>
Talia says, "would help if I knew their email"
>'have you looked at the website at all?
You ask, "have you looked at the website at all?"
>
* Monk Initiate Goryn Barglave returns home from a hard day of adventuring.
>
Talia says, "I just logged in here cause my sister asked me to....I haven't looked at the website"
>'well you're jumping the gun a bit then aren't you? who is your sister?
You ask, "well you're jumping the gun a bit then aren't you? who is your sister?"
>
Talia seems to be focusing intently on a red-and-orange ensyiatite bracelet carved with Elven runes.
>l
You are inside.
>
Talia says, "I'm not jumping the gun at all, she introduced me to AOH and I got introduced to DR without ever having to read the websites"
>
Talia says, "once in those games the ingame help and support made it easy to play"
>
Talia says, "this place seems to be designed to be unhelpful"
>'well then go back. why are you here chirping in my ear. I asked if you wanted help, not a psychiatrist
You say, "well then go back. why are you here chirping in my ear. I asked if you wanted help, not a psychiatrist"
>'suck it up, or bounce. noone's making you stay
You say, "suck it up, or bounce. noone's making you stay"
>who full
Players in Eaxia Online:
Arkahn Keltaen Mo Rheba
Ryarter RedRuby Lanua Talia
Karel Obould Feanaro Lieza
Nazca S'okol Astrid

Normal Dead New

Staff on-duty (off-duty staff will not appear on this list):

>l
You are inside.
>
Talia says, "there's no reason to suck it up if the staff actually want to encourage more players they'd listen to what new players have to say"
>'so you think you're the first?
You ask, "so you think you're the first?"
>chort
You chortle quietly.
>
Talia says, "no, that's my point"
>
Talia asks, "clearly I'm not....so why the hell have they not done something about it?"
>'go to the boards and get a clue before you open your mouth. after you save us all from the shortcomings of the game I'll be sure to thank you
You say, "go to the boards and get a clue before you open your mouth. after you save us all from the shortcomings of the game I'll be sure to thank you"
>l
You are inside.
>
Talia says, "well there's no way I'll be shutting up just cause you told me to"
>'that's fine, but you'll be talking to yourself.
You say, "that's fine, but you'll be talking to yourself. "
>get frag
You get a forest green crystal fragment from inside your belt pouch.
>
Talia says, "I don't see why I should need to trawl through the boards"
>
Talia says, "bye bye"
>tap frag
As you tap the crystal fragment, a strange tugging pulls at your soul and you find your surroundings shift...
JAYMO
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby KHODGES » Feb 19, 2005 (7:28 am)

... Wow... That's all I have to say. Just... Wow.
KHODGES
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Postby MISSIE » Feb 19, 2005 (8:53 am)

Heh, you have much more patience than me. I tried setting her up with a frag and thinker, but after 5 minutes of her attitude I just kind of gave up. :roll: Funny though. I've always thought that it was fairly easy to get help ig.

Lie Kyrien.
MISSIE
Veteran Forums Adventurer

Postby JAYMO » Feb 19, 2005 (1:51 pm)

I tried to hold my tongue as much as possible because I want more people to play, but damn. People like that only feed off of the negativity anyhow.
JAYMO
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

HOLY CROWS

Postby GOLUMBIT » Feb 20, 2005 (12:47 am)

The folks who play this game are very helpful. Yes at times we are far from RPing, yes at times we indulge ourselves in things perhaps a few may not appreciate, but and I mean a HUGE BUT..

Within an hour of waking in these lands my char had been giving all the things she needed to start out with. She was taken shopping for a better weapon, clothing, given a frag and thinker, and given some magical items. I had some difficulty adjusting to the combat style (because I couldn't get my head wrapped around the simplisity of it at all) <blushes> and everytime she died someone came to her aid and then finally someone hunted with her to help her out. She never asked for aid, yet it was there.

I have heard tales of others giving a newbie a million or more gold to start out with and other tales of even greater generousity, kindess and aid. Anyone with half a brain and love of these kinds of games at least scans the web site before coming in to play. Yes that is harsh and bery judgemental and I apologize, but I can't help it. I am not one for reading too much initially, because I'm the type who doesn't read the directions on how to put together the bookshelf but just goes for it and even I will scan a site to get a general idea and feel for a game.

Whom ever you are that made such a valiant attemp to help her, and talk with her I tip my hat to you, lower my blade at your feet. WOW. I commend you and how you were honest even to a fault one might say with her.

If folks like that suddenly start appearing in EO as badly as we need more players and more diversity.. I fear that EO will no longer be the game it is.

I would suspect that even Exxy would rather see his baby full of folks who love his game and him rather then whining, cry babies.

Trudy
GOLUMBIT
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer

Postby KELTAEN » Feb 20, 2005 (12:26 pm)

I'm just relieved this post isn't about me -- or something I did. Heh. With all the Keltaen this'n that at the beginning, I was skeered.

--
Keltaen
KELTAEN
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby FANTASY » Feb 21, 2005 (7:10 am)

wow!

its really her lost that she won't experience Eaxia. she was negative from the outset and never really gave it chance.

concerning n00bie help, I totally agree with Trudy, within 30 mins, I was outfitted with gear and even a pet.

It is evident that at least 2 people tried to assist her.....

I say: goodbye and don't come back!!!

Paez Moonshield
FANTASY
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Re: This is what this game does to people

Postby WhispererQ » Feb 21, 2005 (9:19 pm)

Koo-koo-ka-chu, Mrs. Robinson, Jesus loves you more than you will know...
whoa-whoa-whoa...
:D

Sorry I had to get that in there... hehehe...

My take on it is, she is offended that this is not a carbon copy of a Simu Game, even though David Whatley's income might very well be ten times greater than Pete's and he has a staff of hundreds, if not thousands, working for him, while Pete might well have fewer than twenty.

Yes, Eaxia is in its infancy. Perfect opportunity for her to make some constructive suggestions and offer to send some ideas on what would make *HER* happy here. All she wanted to do was re-iterate how the place was outright terrible because the game is too young and not-well-enough established yet to have a Mentor program that is as elaborate as, and on-par with, the Simu Mentoring programs.... and as to how to help build something like that? "That's their problem, my time is more important than theirs."

*quietly cleans up after the accident just experienced on the floor from laughing so hard, and resumes typing with a bit of a blush, looking around slyly*

If her time is so important, why waste her time making US listen to how much her time is being wasted?

Eaxia is not DR, it is not GS4, it is not AoH, it is not MO, and it is not Hero's Journey. If it was, I would go play those games-- the real thing. I come to Eaxia to play *EAXIA.*

I still can't figure out what she was so furious about, or how the simple logic of reading message boards, asking her peers there, engaging in DISCUSSION and offering SUGGESTIONS, rather than yelling about how terrible the place is.

She needs to stop listening to her sister... who IS this sister, anyway? Is she one of the respected, experienced vets of the community? Why not ask HER (the sister) to mentor her? Chances are they LIVE in the same apartment/house for Chrissakes.

WQ
WhispererQ
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer

Postby MISSIE » Feb 21, 2005 (10:24 pm)

*agrees*

/edit Yeah...Plinn was right. This is what I get for posting at 1 am and forgetting that everyone else can see this sorta thing. So sorry, in case that hurt anyone.

Lie.
Last edited by MISSIE on Feb 22, 2005 (3:42 pm), edited 1 time in total.
MISSIE

Postby OPHELIA » Feb 22, 2005 (11:05 am)

Oi, so many thoughts I have reading this thread...

First of all (and I know everyone's heart is in the right place in this thread), if I was reading the boards as I was considering Eaxia, and read this thread, I'm not sure I'd feel very welcome here and venture in. Posting logs, complete with names, is a bit harsh. Outing someone's sister publically is a bit harsh. Please, please be careful with that. I agree that the person cited was the one in the wrong, and Jaymo was a saint with his patience, but carrying torches to her castle makes us...<cringe>. Yea, yea, I'm the happy smoochy lady that wants everyone to just get along, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

On mentoring -- I never liked the mentor programs in other lands I have ventured. Seemed like a stifling way to start, to me. Someone poofing right in your face and taking you immediately out of character to tell you what's what, isn't my idea of adventure. I came to Eaxia not knowing anything and I loved it. I received a little help, but no fragment or gold, and I adored working to get them. No idea why someone would feel like that was something required.

On comparing Eaxia to Simu -- Don't even try it. The owner of Simu is a businessman, and puts the business of Simu above all. (I read a quote from him in an online magazine once stating that exactly, so I'm not just surmising). I don't wish to belong to a world like that (well, I was for alot of years, but I'm over it, I tell ya, over it!), and I see Exxy putting alot more into the lands than he gets back out. <chuckle> not that I want to see the guy go broke, but it's nice to be in a place that I believe has higher goals than my $$. Totally not to be compared.

Anyway, whoever said, I come to Eaxia to be in Eaxia hit the nail on the head. It's a unique place and full of very interesting people.

Plinnya's people.
OPHELIA

Postby GDEXXY » Feb 24, 2005 (5:36 pm)

First of all I want to thank everyone who's given me support here. Construct criticisms or not, friendly or not, I appreciate the opinion of everyone who offers it.

Talia brings up good points and although her approach may have been taken as nothing but criticism, please keep in mind that she was having a private conversation with another player -- and that it probably should not have been shared in the public forums for the sake of her privacy. While I don't agree with many things she said or the way she said them, because it *was* intended to be private, we have no room to judge.

It is very clear though that the player of Talia is very used to the Simutronics gaming products (based on specific keywords she used) and couldn't fathom other games not being a cookie-cutter version of their games. And Eaxia never will be, either, though there's always room for improvement in a number of areas.

Also, personal reservations aside, I will at least say that I know who the player of this character is and this is absolutely the type of behavior to expect from her. Unfortunately some people are just born nasty.
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby JAYMO » Feb 24, 2005 (7:02 pm)

As the originator of this post (hind sight being 20/20) I agree that posting our conversation may not have been the most mature thing to do. My rationale for doing so was based of the fact that she was on the thinker that night insinuating that I was being less than helpful. I posted this more for showing the lengths I went to to accomodate her moreso than to show what a...uh...difficult citizen she was.

Anyone offended by this has my apologies as my normal M.O. would not be to post a private conversation for the purpose of defaming another person or character.

See how nice I can be!? I think I deserve an alteration :shock:
JAYMO
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Return to General