Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Another bug with summoned creatures

Notice a problem in the game? Suspect a system not working the way it was intended? Report it here or e-mail us at bugs@eaxia.com. Typos can also be reported at typos@eaxia.com.

If you're unsure whether or not something is a bug or not, post an example of the problem here and we'll investigate it.

Another bug with summoned creatures

Postby OPHELIA » Jan 10, 2005 (6:17 pm)

I bugged this in-game, a while ago but I thought I'd post some examples here.

When fighting creatures using a combination of backfire spell (Rhadams Curse or Scour Soul) and summoned beings (which is about the best thing I can get going), there is a good chance that I, or anyone in my group, won't receive experience from killing a creature.

This happens when:

1. The creature is cursed with a backfire spell.
2. The creature is actively engaged in melee with a summoned being (warriors, champs and golems).
3. The creature dies as a result of backfire damage resulting from damage inflicted on the summoned being.

It seems to happen mostly when they kill the summoned being in the blow, but that's not always true.

Here's some examples (happened with 2 out of 3 Goliaths this morning, the horror! :shock: ):

>A Draconian goliath rakes his claws at a skeletal champion and lands a colossal blow.
A skeletal champion shudders violently then collapses into a pile.
A Draconian goliath collapses with a final groan of defiance.
The Draconian goliath dropped 11 gold.
It also appears to have dropped a titanium strongbox.

>A Draconian goliath rakes his claws at a skeletal champion and lands an insanely-damaging strike.
A skeletal champion shudders violently then collapses into a pile.
A Draconian goliath collapses with a final groan of defiance.
The Draconian goliath dropped 25 gold.
It also appears to have dropped a brass strongbox.

Below, it kills the champ and itself and we do learn. The only difference here seems to be that it fell at Paez's feet?

>A Draconian sophisticate rakes his claws at a skeletal champion and lands a colossal blow.
A Draconian sophisticate collapses with a final groan of defiance.
The sophisticate slumps over dead at Paez's feet.
You gain 183 experience.
[You are able to absorb 183 points into your training experience pool.]
The Draconian sophisticate dropped 49 gold.
It also appears to have dropped a brass case.

The next one, the champ doesn't die, but I still don't learn.

>A Draconian warrior rakes his claws at a skeletal champion and lands a colossal blow.
A Draconian warrior collapses with a final groan of defiance.
It also appears to have dropped a clay box.

Thanks for your time!
OPHELIA
Veteran Forums Adventurer

Postby GROVENBURGER » Jan 10, 2005 (9:13 pm)

In a similar vein, when creatures summoned by my druid struck the killing blow Jandar never learned either :cry: , except when he made the kill. I always assumed that was on purpose but perhaps that is a glitch too. I always was in there swinging away too so wasn't often, but that is how it works. However since Necromancers are mainly summoners I see your point, they shouldn't have to be fighting hand to hand to gain from it I don't think. The Druid beasts are supposed to be protecting us rather than as an offensive weapon so I could see an arguement either way there, but still seems wrong to lose the experiance there too! :?
The Dread Pirate Datymin and crew!

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby Guest » Jan 11, 2005 (11:07 am)

GROVENBURGER wrote:However since Necromancers are mainly summoners I see your point, they shouldn't have to be fighting hand to hand to gain from it I don't think. The Druid beasts are supposed to be protecting us rather than as an offensive weapon so I could see an arguement either way there, but still seems wrong to lose the experiance there too! :?

Quoted from the news:

09-20-2004 Rhadam's Curse was previously not being taken into effect when one NPC/creature was attacking another NPC/creature. This bug has been fixed and a cursed creature will definitely be damaged if hurting another creature.

Pretty sure that my curse is intended to work the way I'm using it, and give me exp.

GROVENBURGER wrote:In a similar vein, when creatures summoned by my druid struck the killing blow Jandar never learned either :cry: , except when he made the kill. I always assumed that was on purpose but perhaps that is a glitch too. I always was in there swinging away too so wasn't often, but that is how it works.... The Druid beasts are supposed to be protecting us rather than as an offensive weapon so I could see an arguement either way there, but still seems wrong to lose the experiance there too! :?

Similarly from the news:

09-22-2004 creatures killed by hurting themselves on your armor or reaching through a holy/unholy aura should now give you experience as if you had taken an action to kill it. Previously it would just die, giving no one experience.

Dunno what "reaching through a holy/uholy aura" means exactly, but would that apply to your druid issue or my champ issue? Does that still happen to Jandar since this news item?

All of my summoned beings work kinda quirky. They don't engage very quickly unless they are freshly summoned in a room with critters, or they are in the room when a critter comes in. When they follow you around, you can bet that either you or the critter will die before they get around to following you and engaging. That kind of thing I assume is part of the design and I just work around it.

I believe, though, that losing experience in a viable hunting method is definitely a bug. If I'm wrong, then I just need to know.

Thanks for your help! :D

Postby OPHELIA » Jan 11, 2005 (11:11 am)

Feh..

That above post was me, came over as "guest"

:twisted:

Guest, indeed, kick her out! She's a witch!

Plinnya's people
OPHELIA

Postby OPHELIA » May 3, 2006 (4:59 pm)

Just wanted you to know...

Iris posted a message that this was fixed in January, 2006, but it's not fixed. It still bugs out.

If you need me to show you the bug in game, I'd be delighted.

~Plinnya's people
OPHELIA

Return to Bugs