Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Morning Star

Need help? You can contact us here or at http://www.eaxia.com/feedback

Morning Star

Postby 3V1LBUSHIDO » Oct 4, 2004 (1:04 pm)

Ok, this is only a cosmetic issue but i was just curious what a Morning Star looked like.

I thought i always knew what a Morning Star was, however, when trying to look it up i recieved many pictures of Morning Stars that looked to be more of a flail.

Basically there are two definitions i could find:
1. Just like a mace (no chain) except the top spike is longer and the smaller spikes circle the middle of the ball at the head of the weapon.
2. Same description of the ball and spikes, only that it is attached to a length of chain and then the shaft like a flail.

Is there one definition Eaxia goes by for my information? Looking up actual historical records seem to define it without a chain but shows pictures with a chain. :?
3V1LBUSHIDO
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer

Postby trenmarc-eaxia » Oct 4, 2004 (5:06 pm)

Ive always thought a morningtar was a type of flail except many flails have more than one head and a morningstar is only one mace size head
trenmarc-eaxia
Veteran Forums Adventurer
Veteran Forums Adventurer

Postby GDEXXY » Oct 4, 2004 (6:56 pm)

A morningstar is typically (and in Eaxia) a very long mace, sometimes with spikes, sometimes without. :)
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby 3V1LBUSHIDO » Oct 5, 2004 (8:07 am)

alright, so no chain...thank you :)
3V1LBUSHIDO
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer

Postby GDPALLIDAR » Oct 5, 2004 (12:08 pm)

The chain is usually part of a ball and chain (literally called that) or if the other end of the chain has a bar (spikes or not) or series of bars, a flail. A set of chains (but more often leather straps) with linked balls could be called a cat o nine tails, etc.

Really the fact that so many people all over the medieval world could design their own 'stick with heavy end thing' or 'stick to chain to heavy end thing' weapons led to many minor variations in style and major variations of name.

In some cases, completely identical weapons would be called completely different things depending on who you asked.

Modern 'medieval lore' will tell you there are different names based on very slight alterations in style (for instance, a shaft with a ball on the end that is spiked and has a high spike on top could be called a holy water sprinkler) but honestly, you could call almost any non-chained blunt weapon a mace and almost any chained one a flail and be accurate.
:: Rich Mondy, CEO, RPGN
:: Trevor Rage [Haelrahv]
:: GD Pallidar [Eaxia]
GDPALLIDAR
Eaxia Online senior staff
Eaxia Online senior staff

Return to General