Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Help with skinning

Notice a problem in the game? Suspect a system not working the way it was intended? Report it here or e-mail us at bugs@eaxia.com. Typos can also be reported at typos@eaxia.com.

If you're unsure whether or not something is a bug or not, post an example of the problem here and we'll investigate it.

Help with skinning

Postby MANIACWILL » Jun 24, 2004 (7:54 am)

well I was suprise to hear that skinning was increased. On mani I get 14-25% per failure and 2-6% per success. On will I get 5-6% per failure with critical failures giving 0% and 1-2% per success. this is in jungathas with 36% skinning although I have tested this in mummies ghouls skeletons hellhounds and rats as well. mani is a fighter and they are both trolls. in skinning critical failure is a 10 second rt with the message you nearly hacked off your leg. will is a martial artist.
I am the lord of flies. All bow before me in death
MANIACWILL
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GMSABIN » Jun 24, 2004 (9:08 am)

I'm in no way able to give a definite or final answer on this, but do recall it being said that failures do teach better then success (I'm guessing this applies to all skills, was originally mentioned for gem cutting some time back, possibly on forums, or private conversation). The reasoning behind this is that you would learn from your mistakes...and further more, thinking about a success teaching better then a failure, I'd guess there could be some abuse after you get good at skinning and just taking off to something out of your range (say, rats) to get successful attempts and rank skinning ever so quickly (though it still raises very nicely, esp. with the changes). Also, as far as a Martial Artist nearly hacking off their leg, you have to have a blade in your hand while attempting to skin, whether or not you are proficient in the blade is one thing, but doesn't really relate to this at all. Just because you fight with your hands doesn't mean you skin with your nails. Anyhow, hope this clears up a bit, once again I'm not proposing a final answer, but some collaboration to consider before a final word comes in.

GM-Sabin
The hand you hold is the hand that holds you down.
GMSABIN
Eaxia Online staff
Eaxia Online staff

Postby MANIACWILL » Jun 24, 2004 (11:38 am)

I hate to say it but you overlooked the point of my post totally. Let me give you an easier way to look at it.

Level 1 Fighter gets 14-25% for a skinning falure with critters his level
Level 48 Martial artist gets 5-6% and 0% for critical misses.
Level 1 fighter gets 5-6% for a success
level 48 MA gets 1-2 % for success
The question is more how is the fighter getting so much more for doing the same things as the martial artist gets. Did the code give the fighter way too much and the ma getting the correct amount or is the ma getting too little and the fighter the right amount. This is what I need to know
MANIACWILL
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GMSABIN » Jun 24, 2004 (11:59 am)

I'm sure it'll be looked into further by the people who could do something about, however, I don't think your actual character level alters the exp gain so much as how many ranks you have in skinning. As you better your skinning skill, each attempt will yield less then it did last rank (or 10, 15, 20 ranks back, what have you...). My guess is that a level 48 character has more skinning exp then a level 1, regardless of guild. if you have more ranks, each attempt will yield less exp. Hope that helps, but for now I'm shuting up and leaving it to the pros

GM-Sabin
The hand you hold is the hand that holds you down.
GMSABIN
Eaxia Online staff
Eaxia Online staff

Postby GDPALLIDAR » Jun 24, 2004 (12:37 pm)

Will:

Do both the fighter and the MA have the same skinning skill level? If the MA has higher skinning skill I could see this as a cause. Also, your class is a factor in how well you learn skills but I couldn't comment on whether that's the prime issue here or not.
:: Rich Mondy, CEO, RPGN
:: Trevor Rage [Haelrahv]
:: GD Pallidar [Eaxia]
GDPALLIDAR
Eaxia Online senior staff
Eaxia Online senior staff

Postby GDEXXY » Jun 24, 2004 (9:53 pm)

Consider other staff responses in addition to this one:

Skill experience (SXP) you earn from practicing a skill is given HUGE bonuses the lower your rank in that skill is. For skills at 1-5 ranks, you get almost a 10x bonus. I won't give the exact amounts, but it can make a huge difference for ranks as different as you and the person you were comparing to.
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby MANIACWILL » Jun 25, 2004 (10:21 am)

Ok knowing that The younger character getting a bonus from being under so many ranks is a huge help. Also yes the ma has 38 ranks and the fighter had less than 5 ranks What was suprising is that skinning was the only skill with a depreciation in percentage earned due only from gaining higher ranks in the skill. Obviously I dont use noncombat skills often as I simply think they are not currently needed but I wished to gain some good ranks in a few to help for when Professions come out
MANIACWILL
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Return to Bugs