Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Shared banking system for all characters on your account...

Cast your vote!

How do you like the idea of a shared bank for your account?

Poll ended at May 17, 2004 (4:03 pm)

I like the idea a lot. I'd love to see it as soon as possible!
18%
I think it'd be a good idea. Something to add on a rainy day, but don't neglect the more important updates.
45%
I'm neutral on it. I probably won't use it much, but don't mind that it would exist.
6%
I don't like the idea of seperate characters mooching off each other's bank account. Play your characters seperately.
24%
I think this is a very bad idea and am strongly opposed to it (please post with your reasons)!
6%

Total votes : 33

Shared banking system for all characters on your account...

Postby GDEXXY » May 7, 2004 (4:03 pm)

How do you feel about having a system that lets you share your bank account balance between all the characters on your account. For example, if you play Joe, Bill, and Gary, you could withdraw some of Joe's banked gold while playing Gary.
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby MANIACWILL » May 7, 2004 (7:45 pm)

just want to say thanks for looking into my idea i appreciate it alot
MANIACWILL
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby MANIACWILL » May 7, 2004 (9:39 pm)

after talking to alot of people they also said they would like to see a house or vault system where they can easily transfer items to thier other characters as well alot of them said they usually just hand it to someone to transfer to drop it somewhere private and switch characters but they would be interested in a way to do it quickly and painlessly i think overall from who i talked to that most people think that making having multiple characters easier to manage with money and items would make it more worthwhile to play more than one character and alot of people dont play multiple characters because of the hassle involved
MANIACWILL
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby ALLRIGHT » May 8, 2004 (6:02 pm)

Just to put in my opinion, I think it's a bad idea. This is a role playing game. If you have more than one character, then thats more than one person. You can't lump them together, I personally play my character's to where they have never met, because in game they never have. Each character is seperate, not one person with different personalities.
ALLRIGHT
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Postby DERK » May 8, 2004 (7:38 pm)

My two cents:

1) Very OOC
2) Promotes unbalanced characters. (wealth wise)

Your characters skill/class levels (potential wealth earning ability) should determine wealth status. (Not counting generous gifts of course)
DERK
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby MANIACWILL » May 8, 2004 (8:15 pm)

i think alot of this is for newer players who get multiple characters not people that have been playing since last year and have all thier characters wealthy and fully equiped i mean part of the game is to retain old players and the other part is to attract new players. those that come from dragonrealms as far as i understand it already have family accounts where they share items and money between characters. and alot of people already pass items and money between thier characters by having a friend hold stuff for them. some of the newer players dont know who to trust to transfer goods and money for them and this is just a way to make the new people want to play more.
MANIACWILL
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

But this isn't that other game

Postby GROVENBURGER » May 8, 2004 (11:40 pm)

What you are used to in other games shouldn't affect how things are done here. And we did not have shared bank accounts over there anyways- yes we could access the house with any of our characters.

Also you are dead wrong if you think all of our characters are "rich and fully equipped' just cause we've been here a couple years- I been waiting on some of the newer guilds to open with my higher characters so am still stuck at 20th level, I still cannot afford frags for all my characters, not counting the one that don't use em for personal reasons.

The magic weapons and armor are new to us too, were added after the first of the year.

The main point is that each of your characters is differant- and should not be played as a like mind (yes I'm guilty of sometime bringing in a raiser or healer when none is about and needed for someone- but thats a bit differant I hope). Yeah maybe you don't know who to trust ....yet. Learning who you can and can't with each character is part of real roleplay. Waiting a bit to buy something is part of life- besides it's not that hard to find someone in this world you can trust to make a transfer- even the older thiefs as long as you approach em right are pretty reliable , most of my characters are safe- although hand the old drunk your coin you best keep him outta the bars or might come up a lil short :twisted: ,
even my mercenary likes having folks owe him one in case he ever needs a favor back in the future, and he has a rep to maintain. Most healers are honest, and the bulk of the pallies and clerics are too, to name a few examples, especially the old timers- have faith most of us here left the other game because we are not the scammers- we don't have grave robbers her- not for long anyways. Sorry for the long post just wanted you to hear more than just it OOC or I dissaprove. Roleplay is why we are here- try and find a way to do it there first and you might accidentely have more fun- Levels are conveniant but not necessary for greater roleplay. My father-in-law here was a commoner created that night to roleplay me meeting him to ask for his daughters hand on marriage- and thefact he was a somewhat half wit necromancer was great- we had a good time with it- no coin needed for things like that.

Oh and keep the ideas coming- this one may still fly- and we always need to make suggestions to keep Exxy and crew on their toes :wink:
The Dread Pirate Datymin and crew!

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GMBRAHLIA » May 9, 2004 (5:30 am)

DERK wrote:My two cents:

1) Very OOC
2) Promotes unbalanced characters. (wealth wise)

Your characters skill/class levels (potential wealth earning ability) should determine wealth status. (Not counting generous gifts of course)

Just another perspective....

I don't think it is OOC to have family members sharing items and money. Seems that is what happens in RL why shouldn't it happen here? So I don't really think the OOC argument can work. Take for an example I can transfer in RL funds from my bank account to virtually anyone else bank account as long as I have the information on their account. That is what part of a banking service is for to transfer funds be it for paying bills, transferring funds to others, etc. And then think back in time, families had either a storage place in their home, or a money or treasure room where the family's funds were stored before there were banks, where everyone in the family could get funds when needed. How is it different to gift a million dollars and say that is fine, but it is not fine to have that million dollars shared by multiple characters, because the unbalancing thing you mention seemed to not count "generous gifts". What is the difference?

Now as for sharing items... well in RL people use or borrow the clothing and items of family members all the time. I am sure that has gone on since time began.

I thought about the unbalanced character aspect of your point and I can't see how it makes characters unbalanced, perhaps if you give an example of how it would unbalance I would understand better. Wouldn't they be unbalanced already because people already can give items and funds to other characters? Why would making it easier to do so make characters unbalanced?

Basically I think that this isn't an issue that affects the balance or power of players, but what it can do is make the game playing more enjoyable because it streamlines something that is already done, or put another way it makes something that is already available more convenient. It isn't a necessary thing nor is it an important thing, but sometimes little conveniences can make game play much more enjoyable to partake in.

Just some thoughts.
GMBRAHLIA
Eaxia Online staff
Eaxia Online staff

Postby CLAUDDVON » May 9, 2004 (7:19 am)

I think it's a good idea, actually. I can see both sides of the argument, but I feel it wouldn't be OOC. It makes sense to me that there could be a 'family' account. There would be nothing 'in game' that would indicate anything OOC. Any character would just be able to draw money from a central 'family' account.

Makes sense to me and I'm for it. I only have one character that I play, but still...I don't see any issues with it, personally.

As long as there is nothing while in game that appears OOC, there shouldn't be any issues.

My 2 gold worth.

Clauddvon
CLAUDDVON
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby GMBRAHLIA » May 9, 2004 (8:12 am)

Something else I thought of... it was mentioned that people should play their characters seperately.

What if your RP for your characters is to have them be part of a family unit? What if they are brothers and sisters or parents and children? It wouldn't make sense then to RP them as totally separate entities that don't know each other.

That being said, it may be an RP choice to have your characters be totally separate and you choose it to be that way and RP it that way.

I don't think that the RP aspect of it should factor into the decision making process of this discussion as it is a personal choice for the player themselves.
GMBRAHLIA
Eaxia Online staff
Eaxia Online staff

Postby GROVENBURGER » May 9, 2004 (9:13 am)

What if your RP for your characters is to have them be part of a family unit? What if they are brothers and sisters or parents and children? It wouldn't make sense then to RP them as totally separate entities that don't know each other.

Normally I'd agree with your whole arguement on this except it's kinda hard to play them as a close knit family unit when they can never ever see each other or be together- unless you put them on seperate accounts. But like you said its how you choose to roleplay them- just my cent and a half :?
The Dread Pirate Datymin and crew!

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby MANIACWILL » May 9, 2004 (9:23 am)

Alot of you claim that yoiu dont play your characters the same way and that they dont know each other, but i have found that is usually not the case. How many times has someone hurt once characters feelings and the players feelings behind the character and that players characters all resent that person. If you deny that then you are not well aware of yourself. Another example i have seen quite a bit of in my three to four weeks here is for examply kondor and yazegi are a similar level and kondor dares yazegi to pk him basically saying that he and kondor were to fight and kondor looses. kondor gets his much higher brother grondor or gondor not sure which one exactly but they were both there and pk's yazegi without even asking anything about hostility and says that it was for his brother kondor. I have seen cases where someone will say or do something to upset a thief or fighter character and when that same person who was upset plays a cleric or healer wont want to help the person that upset them. Yes alot of you say you play each character differently but because the player behind those characters has his own feelings and emotions there is a degree of carryover in which one will act from emotions and feelings similarly with each character. This makes it basically impossible to seperate characters from the player even if your characters dont know each other with time everyone sees you as the person behind the characters.
MANIACWILL
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GDEXXY » May 9, 2004 (10:52 am)

My feelings on this are from a simple perspective...

The following are true:
(a) players will pass gold and items from one character on an account to another if they want to whether or not the means to do so without involving someone else is possible.
(b) a shared banking system doesn't need to be limited to characters on an account. For example, if two characters marry in-game, they may establish a shared bank account with the local Semanri branch for them to both access. Clans and other player-organized groups may also want to establish a shared banking system.

From a role-playing perspective:
(a) if characters are role-played from the same family, then it may make complete sense for the wealthier families to support each other and buy the finer things in life -- even for those inexperienced in the family (low-level characters on an account).
(b) if characters ARE role-played from the same family, then it could even be considered out of character (OOC) for a character to request another, unrelated character, to hold gold coins for his brother. The family would most likely give it to each other in person or deposit it into a shared banking system.
(c) money does not make the man. Gold has had a relatively low impact on the success of new characters -- except for the purchase of crystal fragments and moderately-cheap equipment. As I have seen, almost every new character that springs up lately has been taken in by an older character and purchased or given a crystal fragment, so there's no difference here.

From what I can tell, the major arguments against this notion are so-far taken care of and the addition of a shared banking system would only act as a convenience for characters who want other characters (on their account or otherwise) to be able to access their banking funds. As a personal choice for each character, it would seem like a character should be able to choose who, if anyone, the character shares his bank wealth with -- whether family, friends, or other associates.

Also, given that the addition of this convenience does not affect any of you who are transferring funds to your other characters or to your friends and in-game family as it is, I don't see how it could really be abused. Someone please tell me if I've missed an angle.

We'll see how the rest of the voting goes...
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby GMBRAHLIA » May 9, 2004 (11:49 am)

GDEXXY wrote:Someone please tell me if I've missed an angle.

We'll see how the rest of the voting goes...

Seems you hit em all...
GMBRAHLIA
Eaxia Online staff
Eaxia Online staff

Postby GMBRAHLIA » May 9, 2004 (11:52 am)

GROVENBURGER wrote:

Normally I'd agree with your whole arguement on this except it's kinda hard to play them as a close knit family unit when they can never ever see each other or be together- unless you put them on seperate accounts. But like you said its how you choose to roleplay them- just my cent and a half :?

You could roleplay that you just saw them on their way out of town.. or that you just saw them but they were busy doing a chore..that you spoke to them yesterday, got a letter from the islands from them...etc...yep its in the roleplay.
GMBRAHLIA
Eaxia Online staff
Eaxia Online staff

Postby ARMANTHISAMON » May 13, 2004 (5:10 pm)

To have a shared banking system, in my opinion, is simply an easy way for the low-level characters to gain a quick jump in certain items. I do agree that often, the only expensive item is the crystal fragment. But there are also auctions that can offer serious items and such for relatively huge prices.

I believe the main issue I have with this is this:

1. Was the character already referred to at any length of relation, and possible history in the game? Or...
2. Was the character just created out of the blue?

I play my characters as though they do not know one another. They've never seen one another, and unless a story permits it, they likely never will know of them except through the passing of information or gossip from outside characters.

Early on, I was guilty of storing a few items and swapping them from character to character. I mean.. Del's been holding onto way too many items that enhance wisdom, and I have no intention at all of handing them right over to my new cleric.

If someone attains items.. let them get them on their own.

If someone wants gold.. let them fight for it on their own.

If there's a family, my belief is to have one family character per player. Only then would I support a joined banking and/or vault system. But not for an account. I don't see any sense of a level 1 character automatically having access to gold ranging in the six or seven figures right upon creation.
- Rich -

- A rule of the Knight is not only to know when to engage in a confrontation, but also when to step back from one, regardless of the odds [Delman Panthas - Story of Hematite] -

- Me's go makes new friends!!!! [Mezr Madclaw - Pirate Dungeons] -
ARMANTHISAMON
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby BRUCE » May 13, 2004 (7:03 pm)

Marpo=correct, yes.
BRUCE
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Postby THECAT » May 18, 2004 (11:51 pm)

I think Exxy said it all. The only difference between what is going on in game <people using their pals to hold coins to have another character collect them later> and the idea of shared accounts is that there will be less logging in and out for the short time it takes for the tranfer to happen.

My vote is for the accounts to be shared.
THECAT
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Return to Polls