Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Ton of questions!

Need help? You can contact us here or at http://www.eaxia.com/feedback

Ton of questions!

Postby JAYMO » Mar 24, 2004 (1:55 am)

Whats the difference between MA and Unarmed? I haven't quite got it figgered out.

How do I get stealth skills? I been trying to hide like a madman and have only gotten about 12 ranks :D I can't even hide on a rat, so how do I improve? How do I get search? I search my brains out but I don't have any search ranks so I can't see anyone. Does this mean I'll never get search ranks? I heard there's a skill called Spot. How do I earn ranks in that?

Why is it that I can drop a Stone Giant like 6th period French, but I get no EXP for it? Is there a correlation between my Level and EXP? I'm a bit unclear on this

Why did I have Stunning Fist as a Monk, but not as an MA? It would seem logical to me that a skill would improve as you go, not disappear.

What should I cook for dinner tonight? I was thing Spaghetti with a nice Sun Dried Tomato and Turkey meat sauce. :shock:

Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.
JAYMO
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Re: Ton of questions!

Postby GDEXXY » Mar 24, 2004 (9:04 am)

JAYMO wrote:Whats the difference between MA and Unarmed? I haven't quite got it figgered out.

The Martial Arts skill is a defensive skill. Think of it as armor for Martial Artists. The Unarmed Combat skill is an offensive skill -- used like a weapon skill.

JAYMO wrote:How do I get stealth skills? I been trying to hide like a madman and have only gotten about 12 ranks :D I can't even hide on a rat, so how do I improve? How do I get search? I search my brains out but I don't have any search ranks so I can't see anyone. Does this mean I'll never get search ranks? I heard there's a skill called Spot. How do I earn ranks in that?

Hiding can best be learned by hiding in front of other people (the larger the group, the better) while you have low ranks in the skill. Then try creatures.

Searching works the same way, but only on hidden players. Searching when there is no one hidden in the room does not help.

Spot is a passive skill that is only trained when you happen to notice someone hiding, stealing (from you or anyone), stalking, etc. It gives you bonuses to almost all the other stealth skills.

JAYMO wrote:Why is it that I can drop a Stone Giant like 6th period French, but I get no EXP for it? Is there a correlation between my Level and EXP? I'm a bit unclear on this

Yes, there's a huge association between level and combat experience earned. There's a bell curve where when you are the same level as the creature you've killed, you'll gain 100% of the experience value of that creature (plus or minus a few random points and/or based on other factors).

JAYMO wrote:Why did I have Stunning Fist as a Monk, but not as an MA? It would seem logical to me that a skill would improve as you go, not disappear.

It shouldn't disappear. If it has, it's a bug and should be reported at http://www.eaxia.com/feedback.php

JAYMO wrote:What should I cook for dinner tonight? I was thing Spaghetti with a nice Sun Dried Tomato and Turkey meat sauce. :shock:

Pasta sounds good, but I was thinking more along the lines of a deep-dish lasagna with an Itallian sausage meat sauce. Mmm. Now I want Olive Garden.
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby JAYMO » Mar 24, 2004 (10:32 am)

MA is a defensive Armor skill. Check.

Hiding working in groups doesn't seem to be very effective, or didn't work at all for me. I have roughly 12 ranks in hiding (from "trying" to hide on critters while hunting) but when I was hiding at STS last night in front of Goharo and a host of others nothing was happening.

As far as searching goes, will my skill only move IF I see someone hidden? Or just the fact that there's someone in the room and I'm trying to find them is supposed to get me ranks? If the prior is true rather than the latter, do I get more EXP if I spot more than one person i.e. if I spot 3 people do I get 3 times the EXP?

I've seen plenty of people try to hide, stalk, and steal (imagie that! thieves!) from me, but I have yet to get any kind of Spot EXP.

As far as critters and EXP are concerned, I'm of the opinion that if I can kill the bugger, I should be rewarded. I'm sure this has been an issue before and I'm wondering if anything is in the works to change this?

I will drop a line in the other folder in reference to Stunning Fist. Thank you.

And finally, I ended up going out for mexican food. I live to cook another day.

This post serves as both a retort and a thank you for your time! Enjoy!
JAYMO
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby GDAREMENTA » Mar 24, 2004 (1:16 pm)

JAYMO wrote:As far as critters and EXP are concerned, I'm of the opinion that if I can kill the bugger, I should be rewarded. I'm sure this has been an issue before and I'm wondering if anything is in the works to change this?

Think about it from this aspect - there's only so much you *can* learn from doing the same old thing, over and over. Once you've done it, learned how to do it, and done it for a while, a task becomes mundane and then it's nothing more than a repetative task you're not gaining any new knowledge about, you're just repeating the process. So why should you continue to learn, and not move on to a new task to try and learn from? Same applies to the critters. :)

Also, if level 50 characters could get knowledge from killing the same old goblins they hunted since they were little, would they have any incentive to move up to bigger, badder things? :lol:
~Arementa
Area Development Manager
GDAREMENTA
Eaxia Online senior staff

Postby JAYMO » Mar 24, 2004 (1:29 pm)

GDAREMENTA wrote:
JAYMO wrote:As far as critters and EXP are concerned, I'm of the opinion that if I can kill the bugger, I should be rewarded. I'm sure this has been an issue before and I'm wondering if anything is in the works to change this?

Think about it from this aspect - there's only so much you *can* learn from doing the same old thing, over and over. Once you've done it, learned how to do it, and done it for a while, a task becomes mundane and then it's nothing more than a repetative task you're not gaining any new knowledge about, you're just repeating the process. So why should you continue to learn, and not move on to a new task to try and learn from? Same applies to the critters. :)

Also, if level 50 characters could get knowledge from killing the same old goblins they hunted since they were little, would they have any incentive to move up to bigger, badder things? :lol:

You jumped in a little late on this one, hon. I was referring to the fact that I can kill Stone Giants, but don't get EXP for it because I'm not a high enough "level". I think that if I can kill them, then I am entitled to some EXP for it. But in reference to your reply in correlation with easier critters, I agree 100%.
JAYMO
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby GDAREMENTA » Mar 24, 2004 (2:25 pm)

Oh, the vice versa. :roll: <goes back into hiding under her rock> :wink:
~Arementa
Area Development Manager
GDAREMENTA

Postby Goharo » Mar 26, 2004 (5:53 am)

[D'Mare Fin, Lost Caves]
Ancient markings have been painted on the walls. Each depicts a different aspect of life in a giant clan. The most apparent one pictures an ancient hand fasting ritual between giants.
Other life here: a stone giant, a stone giant, a stone giant.
Obvious exits: west and northwest.
>l gia
Massive legs fill your field of vision and you have to crane your neck back to see the rest of this creature. The giant is clothed in hides which seem to be entire animal skins patched together and holding a large boulder in one hand.
The giant looks to be in near perfect health.
>l second gia
Massive legs fill your field of vision and you have to crane your neck back to see the rest of this creature. The giant is clothed in hides which seem to be entire animal skins patched together and holding a large boulder in one hand.
>l third gia
>
A stone giant just went west.
>

I really think these things should be engaging me. They are like a big step in working combat skills.
Goharo
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Postby JAYMO » Mar 26, 2004 (11:10 am)

Agreed. My OD Ranks are gonna fall behind :cry:
JAYMO
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby GDEXXY » Mar 28, 2004 (12:59 pm)

Combat experience is rated on a bell curve. The closer you are to your creature's level, the more combat-related experience you'll earn from it (until you're too low or too high for it).

If you're too high for it -- well that's obvious, it's just not challenging and you shouldn't be fighting it.

If you're too low for it -- this is one scenario that confuses people. We feel that if you are considerably lower than the creature you killed (or that your group killed), then either you didn't participate much (in group combat) or you wittled away at a creature using a method that required no application of thought (shooting and running over and over, or a super-powerful wand, etc.). Hence, there's nothing meaningful for you to absorb from your experience with that creature, hence you get no experience.

In reality, there's more out-of-character reasons we do this than in-character. It keeps players from grouping together (level 50th and a level 3rd) and killing a level 50th creature to super-level that 3rd-level character. It also prevents freak accidents from occurring like a level 50 character almost killing a level 50 creature before having to sign off, getting killed himself, etc. and then that level 3 runs along, taps it once, and gets a crapload of experience. There's a number of other problems that handling experience based on level relativity keeps under control, but I think you get the drift of why it is the way it is.

On another note:

Giants still not advancing? Well I'll have to take another look at them, but the rest of the creatures that previously weren't advancing ARE now, yes?
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby JAYMO » Mar 28, 2004 (3:41 pm)

so far so good on the other creatures advancing, yes. at least the Trolls and Young Giants seem to be in order.

as far as the EXP thing, I can own a Giant in usually 3-4 attacks. So its not a scenario where I'm riding coat tails, or taking an eon to kill one. I run through these things, but still no EXP. I guess it is what it is, its just that Trolls won't move my offensive and defensive melee skills anymore so I'm kinda forced to hunt Giants and Young Giants. From what I've found and experimented with, hunting is really the only effective way to Level. I mean hiding 100 times to get one rank just seems a bit out of hand to me. And thats IF someone is there to witness you hide, whether it be a critter, or another citizen with decent eyes. I'm feeling stuck in the in-between zone right now.
JAYMO
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby Goharo » Mar 29, 2004 (2:01 pm)

Nope stone giants sure arent advnacing but everything else ive ran across seems to be. It was just jungatha and stone giants before though everything else advanced me. Jungatha do now just not stone giants.
Goharo
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Postby Goharo » Mar 29, 2004 (2:03 pm)

just ignore me they advance i just didnt give them enough time.
Goharo
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Return to General