Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Nice, but one problem

General discussion for the Eaxia rebuild.

Nice, but one problem

Postby HASKELLA » Nov 2, 2003 (7:37 am)

I like what was done with the rebuild, but I have one question, I had 12 ranks in dagger, shorsword and dual-weapon strategy. Now I have nothing. Its nice being 3rd level, but now I am dying in rats to get where I was. Was this intentional? Oh, and why were feats removed, I think they added alot to making this a more unique game.
HASKELLA
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Re: Nice, but one problem

Postby CARIMEI » Nov 2, 2003 (9:45 am)

Oh here is something I noticed that doesn't quite add up.

You were previously a level 21 Barbarian with 214051 experience points.
This is worth 61565 allocation points (level 18 in any class).

Experience level: 17
Guild / class: Fighter
Title: Veteran
Training Experience (TE): 0
Learning Capacity: 0%
Knowledge Experience (XP): 61565
XP to maintain current level: 57300
XP required for next level: 64150
Progress towards next level: 62% (2585 more XP required).

Might want to look at this.
CARIMEI
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby ALLRIGHT » Nov 2, 2003 (10:10 am)

I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, but you are quite young and lost only a few skills. I do believe it was intentional, Exxy had posted that since he counted exp. from learning the skill, he couldnt count the skill itself. I'm hoping that will be changed, I lost quite a few levels, and lost all my skills that I've worked for a year to get, whether it be with skill points or training the skill itself. I'm 50th level and cant retreat from a rat anymore. Hopefully this will be changed soon.
ALLRIGHT
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Postby SHISAERON » Nov 2, 2003 (11:15 am)

The mana system is a great idea, but in my opinion i see one flaw. For older characters casting spells is taking as much mana as a younger character. Shouldnt the older you get the more spells you can cast?
SHISAERON
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby GROVENBURGER » Nov 2, 2003 (1:34 pm)

Carimei so far all three of mine that have come back have actually ended up one level lower than what the reallocation said also- so need to fix the message is all I assume
The Dread Pirate Datymin and crew!

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby HASKELLA » Nov 2, 2003 (8:25 pm)

ALLRIGHT,

Yeah it was real early in the morning and I had just got off of work. I had meant to add another line to that, and I just got up and am leaving for work now. But here is the line that was supposed to go in there.

If this works across the board for folks of all levels, will there be some way to fix this, it seems strange that after so much training you should fail where you were succeeding.
HASKELLA
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby GDEXXY » Nov 3, 2003 (12:24 pm)

HASKELLA wrote:I like what was done with the rebuild, but I have one question, I had 12 ranks in dagger, shorsword and dual-weapon strategy. Now I have nothing. Its nice being 3rd level, but now I am dying in rats to get where I was. Was this intentional? Oh, and why were feats removed, I think they added alot to making this a more unique game.

Skill reset was intentional (there's a few official announcements posted about why) but the extreme challenge in combat was not. It has been fixed (or should be fixed -- please provide more feedback) as of last night.

Feats were renamed to abilities, but are no longer trainable ('feat points'). We have a different training/building system in mind than the one that D&D 3rd edition uses (they use feats and feat points).
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby GDEXXY » Nov 3, 2003 (12:25 pm)

CARIMEI wrote:You were previously a level 21 Barbarian with 214051 experience points.
This is worth 61565 allocation points (level 18 in any class).

Experience level: 17

This should be fixed -- it was saying this for everyone. The fix is not live (it will appear during the second reallocation, slated to go live in less than 12 hours from this post).
GameDirector Exxy, CEO

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby GDEXXY » Nov 3, 2003 (12:33 pm)

ALLRIGHT wrote:Exxy had posted that since he counted exp. from learning the skill, he couldnt count the skill itself. I'm hoping that will be changed, I lost quite a few levels, and lost all my skills that I've worked for a year to get, whether it be with skill points or training the skill itself. I'm 50th level and cant retreat from a rat anymore. Hopefully this will be changed soon.

The skills needed to be reset because in the three months that they existed in a progressive system, most able warriors were able to max out their combat skills and earn several levels. Since level is already being factored into the realloaction process and since skill bonuses towards combat were reduced a lot (they don't have such a big impact at all anymore.. just a tiny one), gaining even 100 weapon skill ranks won't help you very much with that weapon (the skill represents a different kind of mastery which will be used in other systems).

If the skills did the same thing that they used to, I could see you being somewhat upset -- but they really don't.

As far as skills that existed before the progressive skill system went live, such as Pick Pockets (stealing), Hide, etc., there were just too many factors in the rebuild that prevent us from even trying to salvage these skill values. Ability scores they're based on disappeared, many people are trying different classes (some of which can't use the skills involved), the skills themselves haev changed in potency and usefulness, etc. There's an entire range of more finite details that cover the more technical reasons why this just really can't be done, but the long and short of it is that the reason I can feel comfortable justifying their removal is because skills will be far more profession-oriented and I don't want to give certain people head starts in professions -- we all start new there (since they're NOT related to class in general).
GameDirector Exxy, CEO

GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby GDEXXY » Nov 3, 2003 (12:39 pm)

SHISAERON wrote:The mana system is a great idea, but in my opinion i see one flaw. For older characters casting spells is taking as much mana as a younger character. Shouldnt the older you get the more spells you can cast?

Well first of all, the higher the level you are, the larger your mana pool is. It may be hard to see this since you can only tell how much overall mana you've been using, but rest assured that you do have more mana availability at higher levels -- so that helps mana costs.

More importantly, sufficient spell training (research) reduces mana costs, not level. Level is a measure of your general capability, but we don't have generalizations in these new Mage/Wizard spells -- we have vey distinct levels to which they can be individually trained. By leveling, you acquire spell training points (STPs) that you can use to research spells to reduce their preparation time and mana cost while increasing their damage.

Before, it was:
Level -> Better Spells (damage, duration)

Now, for damage-based Mage/Wizard spells, it is:
Level -> STPs -> Better Spells (damage, casting time, mana cost, etc.)
GameDirector Exxy, CEO

GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby ALLRIGHT » Nov 3, 2003 (5:47 pm)

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it costs me 18% of my mana to cast 1 LR.....which means I can cast roughly 6 before having to stop, whereas before I could cast roughtly 20. It's costing a younger level the same percentage of mana to cast a CMW as it costs me. Not sure if this is intentional or not.
ALLRIGHT
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Postby GDEXXY » Nov 3, 2003 (10:38 pm)

ALLRIGHT wrote:I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it costs me 18% of my mana to cast 1 LR.....which means I can cast roughly 6 before having to stop, whereas before I could cast roughtly 20. It's costing a younger level the same percentage of mana to cast a CMW as it costs me. Not sure if this is intentional or not.

How could you cast Lesser Restoration 20 times before on the spell cast system (no changes have been made to the mana system since it was released the night before last)? Even with maxed-out scores and at level 99, you still wouldn't have enough spell casts of level 3 spells to cast it 20 times in a row (including spell casts that would have regenerated). Not that I'm refuting either complaint, but I think your basis may be extremely off.

Regardless, the cleric spells haven't fully adopted the new mana system and are on a formula that adjusts for level-to-mana conversions. It hasn't been fine-tuned yet, so expect it to change and grow, including compensations for your concerns on mana costs betwen levels (get progressively better), although that is partially considered since all higher-level spellcasters get larger mana pools as they level.
GameDirector Exxy, CEO

GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby ALLRIGHT » Nov 3, 2003 (10:57 pm)

Before the change, I had a wisdom of over 40 and was able to cast 16 LR's, and by the time I got to the last one, more had come back. I have cast 20 LR's in a row before, and now I can cast 5 and by the time I have casted the last one, I have enough mana to prepare and cast another one. If you'd like the information I received when I typed SPELL before the change, I would be happy to email it to you. It costs me between 18-20% of my mana pool to cast one LR now.
ALLRIGHT
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Return to Eaxia Rebuild, General