Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

The new Poison Trap...

Need help? You can contact us here or at http://www.eaxia.com/feedback

Re: The new Poison Trap...

Postby Clauddvon_Mauddiv » Sep 23, 2002 (1:49 pm)

Hey,<br><br>I was thinking maybe we could have some kind of 'blind empath' or something that has a place you can run too incase a cleric isn't on?  You know...something like ::coughs out something that sounds like that other place::  You remember?<br><br>Anyway, it would be pretty cool...maybe same theory...charges ya for healing or something.  Just an idea.<br><br>Clauddvon<br><br>Oh!  The traps....they're good.  ::grins::
Clauddvon Maud'divv
~*~Ranger Extraordinaire~*~
...ummmm.....where's the Ranger's Guild???
Clauddvon_Mauddiv
Veteran Forums Adventurer

Postby latrinsorm » Sep 23, 2002 (5:46 pm)

and it oculd be that Fighters are just superior to Rogues in general, so a 20th level Fighter's adversaries can be of a much higher level than those of 20th level Rogue.<br><br> ;D (kidding of course)<br><br>now i don't know the exact method of dispersal for the poison, but if it's some kind of needle, maybe some sort of glove could help protect the rogue or at least dull the effects of the poison?<br>also, have y'all tried using white vials instead of going to a cleric?<br><br>-Keat the Fighter
These monsters are destroying everything and everyone we hold dear! And you kids should be wearing jackets... -MBS
They should really come with adult toys, like lighters! -Hammy the Gaptooth
latrinsorm

Postby Reformed_Blonde » Sep 23, 2002 (6:39 pm)

Heh,  White vials don't work trust me.  We have been told maybe in the future a new poision cure will be given that we can  make in order to heal the poison.  I think it was a mistake to make the poison box before the cure was out.  <br><br>Running to any kind of cleric is just sometimes not a option.  Again trust me I found out.  I think Torison has point.  If a 20th Fighter/Mage/Monk can kill a young giant for its boxes.  Then a theif at 20th should be able to pop a young giants box since that is their main.<br><br>Now if your going to make it so the box is still not able to be opened until you have a 39th theif skill (only theif I have seen able to open these boxes thus far) then think about slowing down the pulse rate of the poison.  Give them a chance to find a cleric and get there or the cleric get to them.<br><br><br>Or maybe add the ability for theifs to be able to see what kind of trap it is before trying to disable.  After they can see what kind it is if they can see it then it up to them and they know ahead of time.  <br><br>My rambling thoughts.  I like the trap its creative but a tad to hard.<br><br> :o<br>OUCH!<br>
Reformed_Blonde
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

;)Re: The new Poison Trap...

Postby Fallyn » Sep 24, 2002 (4:29 am)

[quote author=Reformed_Blonde link=board=board-general;num=1032805095;start=0#4 date=09/23/02 at 17:39:08]<br>Or maybe add the ability for theifs to be able to see what kind of trap it is before trying to disable.  After they can see what kind it is if they can see it then it up to them and they know ahead of time.  <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>We can APPRAISE boxes as a Rogue to see what sort of trap is there.  Just LOOKing at them only shows the critter it was from.   ;)
Got any good tater recipes?!?
Fallyn
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby GDEXXY » Sep 24, 2002 (10:12 am)

Eaxia is a game.  A game includes challenges.  One of these challenges right now is the very violent and quick-running poison on top-level boxes.  It's very deadly and very difficult to expertly remove.<br><br>However, as someone else pointed out, rogues and thieves can EXAMINE boxes to determine the trap type and an estimate of how well they would be able to disable it.<br><br>If it's out of your league, you may not want to try it.<br><br>We will have NPC healers and box-openers in the near future to help with thief and cleric availability.<br><br>As for "not releasing so strong a poison until a cure is out", well that's just silly.  We're not going to hand out solutions to every challenge from the start.  A "cure all" potion isn't the only way to combat this poison.  The first solution is of course to simply avoid it altogether.  From there, find expert locksmen (both PCs and NPCs).  If all else fails, STORE it for a while.  No one says ya gotta open it yourself.<br><br>I think we've given every opportunity for the players to overcome the extreme poison challenges and hope that further obstacles and puzzles are met with greater flexibility in the future.  This is one of the reasons why games are fun: figuring stuff out!<br><br>Enjoy!<br>
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby Clauddvon_Mauddiv » Sep 24, 2002 (1:41 pm)

Why can't mages drop top-level boxes?  Why does fightin' ability have to directly coorelate with boxes?  They're two separate things...apples and oranges.<br><br>For that matter, a little gnome could pick up and store away a 'top level' boxie and have it when he dies...to him it's just a box.<br><br>Just my two cents worth but I do tend to agree with Segarion on this one.  <br><br>Clauddvon
Clauddvon Maud'divv
Clauddvon_Mauddiv

Postby latrinsorm » Sep 24, 2002 (1:48 pm)

well i suppose mages and gnomes could somehow "find" a top-level box and glom onto it for awhile, but it seems to me a creature with any type of intelligence would try to open said box (I know that adventurers have intelligence, and we try to open them). Thus they would be killed, assuming that there are no master locksmith mages. Eventually, the population of mages would understand that (try to open box) = (die) and would get rid of it somehow.<br>It just doesn't make sense for a low-level creature to have a high-level box in terms of trap but not for plunder anyhow. And from my experience, goblin boxes give out considerably less than half-orc boxes each and every time.<br><br>just my two (count 'em, two!) thoughts.<br>-Keat the Fighter
These monsters are destroying everything and everyone we hold dear! And you kids should be wearing jackets... -MBS
latrinsorm

Postby Clauddvon_Mauddiv » Sep 24, 2002 (5:23 pm)

Then I have another question for you.<br><br>Why do you want everything?  Why not be content with the boxes that you 'can' open?  Why not give the big guys something good to disable too?  Why not allow them to be needed?  Why must everyone at every level be able to do everything that everyone else can do?  Sounds pretty boring to me.<br><br>When you hit 40th and then 50th, won't you want something challenging like this new box to toy around with and gloat about being able to pop while your fellow rogues of lower level can't?  That's rhetorical.<br><br>And to just comment on something Keat said...<br><br>
well i suppose mages and gnomes could somehow "find" a top-level box and glom onto it for awhile, but it seems to me a creature with any type of intelligence would try to open said box (I know that adventurers have intelligence, and we try to open them). Thus they would be killed, assuming that there are no master locksmith mages. Eventually, the population of mages would understand that (try to open box) = (die) and would get rid of it somehow. <br>
<br><br>Aye, you're right!  Seems that you hit the nail right on the head there!  [glow=red,2,300]Eventually[/glow] they would figure it out and understand that opening = death.  Eaxia is new!  Things are new...critters are new...let's use some imagination here.  The boxes were just introduced.  If you want to stay totally IC...why not 'allow' the gnomes and goblins and whatever else a little time to 'find out' that opening = death.  I mean, you're all talking like the boxes and Eaxia have been around for ages!  It's all new!  Why not enjoy the rp of it?  Eventually...when they come to the realization that opening = death...they may shy away from it..or they may not...who said they had the kind of intelligance necessary to decide such things?<br><br>Anyway...I just think you all should take what boxes you have and the many many many different ways of experience gaining (more than most other guilds anyway), and be happy.  When you hit 40th and 50th levels, you'll be happy to have a challenge at that level.<br><br>Clauddvon...talking from experience.
Clauddvon Maud'divv
Clauddvon_Mauddiv

Postby Aereo » Sep 25, 2002 (12:33 am)

I had a larger post, but accidentally hit control esc.....mental note be more careful......and the whole post deleted.<br><br>So this time I am going to keep it shorter.<br><br>I respect you Raventail and I mean no disrespect at all.  being that its possible to learn as much as you can learn from disabling boxes, in the small amount of time it takes to do so.....I don't think that its completely unfeesable to have to EXAMINE a box before disabling it, it should be a gift for older thieves to not have to be burdened with it, a reward of sorts.<br><br>To even compare the learning capability of a Wizard with a rogue is outlandish..  Yes as a wizard we learn a lil more from each kill, but we get 1/4 the attack capability of a fighter, the small amount of increased experience does not compensate it completely.  Yes a cleric can learn from healing, very limited by spell casts, and is also not very much at all<br><br>I agree that there is an acceptable balance of almost all guilds.  I believe the wizard to be the very most difficult to train for promotion, and now after this combat rt adjustment....the very easiest to train is the rogue.  I say this with my own personal opinion in mind, I do have a character in every guild......and that is where I base my opinion<br><br>Again Raventail I mean no disrespect, but if it was easier to train a wizard then a thief, I think we would see more higher level wizards then thieves, since its been available alot longer.  Yet we see thieves catching the bigger folks in the game fairly quickly.<br><br>Happy poppin!<br><br>~Aereo~
Aereo
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer

Postby Aereo » Sep 25, 2002 (1:13 am)

Yeah my fault, I did have a better response to your statement in the longer post that I accidentally deleted before posting....<br><br>In response to it, it can be explained in RP, if a goblin gets ahold of a harder box, he does same thing you will do, hold it till he can find someone that CAN disable it.  I think that the whole Poison trap is wonderful, my rogue can't quite get them, but will very soon.  So even though I have to examine every box, I think its a just reward for those that can get them to be able to dodge the examining boxes.  After all it is prestigous and is impressive to be able to do it, as you know its hard work to get to a point that you can do it.  But as far as pleasing a high level thief, the prestige of being able to do it is the only reward, as it teaches less then the other traps.  That part doesnt make much sense to me, that a harder trap teaches less, but hey, still looks real cool when a thief can, and deems that thief worthy of some respect.  <br><br>If there were only easy traps in all the area's less then stone giants, then the whole idea of examining a box before disabling it would be mute, I like that I have to examine my thieves boxes before being able to safely open them.  For the younger folks that have found them, isnt trial and error part of the adventure?  We live and learn?  <br><br>I like it the way it is, also think it encourages RP and opportunities for younger folks to ask questions of those folks that are obviously more experienced with Eaxian LIfe.<br><br>And since you do have the ability to EXAMINE the boxes before disabling them, most will only make the error of not doing it one time.<br><br>Still with all due respect<br>Your neighbor<br><br>~Aereo~
Aereo
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer

Postby Clauddvon_Mauddiv » Sep 25, 2002 (3:51 am)

Thanks Aereo...just what I wanted ta say.<br><br>I'm never so tactful...I'll say one more thing to add to it.<br><br>
The poison trap is fine, for HIGH Thieves, so put it where HIGH Thieves will be.
<br><br>Who are you to presume to guess where high level thieves will be?  I have one and he doesn't hang out in Jungathas.  He hangs out where the money is..be it goblins, mages, giants or whatever.<br><br>EXAMINE boxies and stop wanting the easy way out...that's all it's sounding like to me.  Too lazy (for lack of a better word) to examine and then if it's too hard to hold it till you're bigger or find a higher level thief to open it for ya.<br><br><br>Clauddvon (for the continued growth of big boxes in small areas)<br><br>
Clauddvon Maud'divv
Clauddvon_Mauddiv

Postby Reformed_Blonde » Sep 25, 2002 (1:07 pm)

Posts like the above is why I hate when GMs say...<br><br>"You know thats a good point take it to the boards."  You run into comments and people that just want to bash ya to the ground.  Its ashame.
Reformed_Blonde
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby GDASTRACON » Sep 26, 2002 (1:04 am)

First off,, I see heading toward being a board fight, so lets keep it civil please?  Ok, now.. <br><br>     There are things being put in place that could change the box "problem", but don't hold me to that, I'm just saying there are things in place that could put a "better" handle on them.<br>I don't know what is in store for the treasure system, I just know we have new stuff that might allow for possible changes.  I have read through these posts very carefully, and I understand everyone's stand on the issue, but I think some are making a bigger deal of it than it should be.  Everyone had valid points, I'm just saying some things are a way for a reason even if "ya'll" don't see it right off the bat.  So give us some time, a newly released item/system isn't always 100% finished, we have to montior them closely for things we could have missed in testing or just plain down right didn't have the man power to test or couldn't test.  There is always the unexpected.  That being said, just bear with us we aren't out to just appease a few, we want everyone to be happy,  We listen to every thing anyone says and we think about it, and try to find a possible "fix" if one would be for the over all good of the game. I don't want to make anyone mad here or upset anyone, but we have to do some things, and if everyone wants a challenge.. we have to give it to them.  Change is diffacult, but try to bear with it, it could be for the best in the long run, even if you don't like it now...<br>     <br>     In closing I just want to say ALL guild learning is balanced out, and if there is a gap some place, it is because Eaxia is still FAIRLY new, and some systems have not been put in place, we are all working as hard as we can to give new things to learn from and such.<br><br>GM-Astracon
GameDirector Astracon
Vice President, Eaxia Online
GDASTRACON
Eaxia Online senior staff

Postby GDASTRACON » Sep 26, 2002 (1:13 am)

>>Posts like the above are why I hate when GMs say...<br>"You know that is a good point take it to the boards." You run into comments and people that just want to bash you to the ground.  Its ashame.<<<br><br>I don't even know what to say...  (I'm sure this comes as a big shock to most of you :-P)<br>     We ask for you to go to the boards because we want to know what other people think of the issue.  Please don't let a few people run you off the boards, we want to hear your suggestions and comments or concerns honestly.<br><br>GM-Astracon <br>
GameDirector Astracon
Vice President, Eaxia Online
GDASTRACON

Postby Kreeya » Sep 26, 2002 (10:30 am)

I'm not posting this to be unkind, or to offend anyone. With that said...<br><br>What are everyone's feelings about the players who expect clerics to stand over them while they open boxes, ready to cast cure poison? <br><br>If one has the ability to examine a box to tell if they are able to open it, why don't they use that ability? Standing watching one person open boxes and the other grab whatever treasure is inside is not one of the more exciting aspects of the game. <br><br>The other players often disappear to hunt after the boxes are opened, leaving the cleric standing alone waiting for their spells to regenerate. Any suggestions on how to handle this without being downright rude to folks?<br><br>
Kreeya
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby Kreeya » Sep 26, 2002 (11:45 am)

Um, Raven I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean any offense. What I was asking for (I guess it was worded poorly) was opinions and advice. I didn't intend to bash anyone.<br><br>I'll be keeping my thoughts and opinions to myself in the future, so as not to offend anyone.<br><br>
Kreeya
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby Clauddvon_Mauddiv » Sep 26, 2002 (2:38 pm)

And I would like to state for the record that if it WAS me who supposidly had NO point...well...frankly, I don't care what you all think.  <br><br>I post what I'm thinking and every post I make has a point...whether or not you see it is another subject and I have no control of that.<br><br>Additionally, are your comments of 'someone having no point' needed?  Does it add to the topic of 'poisonous boxes?'<br><br>If so...I didn't see it...which in my mind makes it a no purpose post.<br><br>Just my take.<br><br>P.S...if it wasn't me you were referring too in those posts, then disregard this post all together.  :)<br><br>Clauddvon.....the pointless mean one?<br><br>And to stay in line with topic....Go Poisonous Boxes!!  Kudos to all the GM's involved in creating those spectacular items!!<br><br>::stops and reads his post to make sure he really wants to send it::<br><br>::decides he doesn't think it's 'offensive'... and pushes post::
Clauddvon Maud'divv
Clauddvon_Mauddiv

Postby latrinsorm » Sep 26, 2002 (3:46 pm)

i think it's obvious the solution we need hirra....<br><br><surreptitiously points to some neat yellow text that says Polls (Voting)><br><br>The issue seems to be whether poison boxes should be encountered in low level situations (goblins, mages, etc). So let's vote on it and see, eh?<br><br>And another thing, we haven't heard from monks yet, eh? Do they like the poison box? do they believe in poison? do they believe in boxes? And other such pointless questions.<br><br>The main reason I would be agin poison boxes in low level situations is that my Fighter is currently unable to examine boxes. If he were to somehow have mad box-opening skizills (har), he would be unable to tell a poison-trapped box from another, far less dangerous box. I'm sure someone will point out that rogues/thieves are meant to be box-opener supremes, but it's not like other classes should be unable to tell what a trap is. I mean, some of them you could see just by looking in the lock-hole (or whatever it's called), right? Not that I'm belittling the Fighter's l77t fighting skills, but I'm just wondering, as I usually am.<br><br>-Keat the Wonderer
latrinsorm

Next

Return to General