Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Experience Absorption/Slowing Level Gain.

Need help? You can contact us here or at http://www.eaxia.com/feedback

Experience Absorption/Slowing Level Gain.

Postby Itharr » Jan 12, 2003 (3:17 am)

Just an idea to slow the leveling down, since I assume you guys are going to want to do that at some point.

This is all based on time spent per hunting trip. Lets say a one hour block in this instance.

For the first 15 minutes the character hunts, experience gain is immediate and flat. As it is now.

From 15-30minutes, experience gained immediatly drops to 75% of what is is for the first 15m, and the other 25% is queued for allotment over a time period (Like gettin' fried in GS3). Howver, there is also a 5% reduction in total experience points gained for any hunting done in that 15-30 block. So you're actually getting 95% of what you got in the first 15m, 75% of that immediatly, and the other 25% over time.

For 30-45 minutes, total experience gain drops to 90%, experience gained immediatly drops to 50%, and the other 50% is given over time.

For 45-60 minutes, total experience gain drops to 85%, experience gained immediatly drops to 25%, and the other 75% is given over time.

So for the first 15 minutes, if you're fighting something for 100 XP, you get that 100 everytime, immediatly.

15-30, you get 72 experience points immediatly, with 23 queued.

30-45, you get 45 experience points immediatly, with 45 given over time.

45-60, you get 22 experience points immediatly, with 63 given over time.


It would also make sense to have the queue capped. At a certain point, the experience gain drops to 1/1, or some other set of low numbers (1 given immediatly, one over time)

You can work out the exact forumlas how you want of course.

I think it makes sense myself, from an RP standpoint. If you're learnin' somethin', you can only learn so much at a rapid pace before you start payin' less attention, however the things you paid less attention to are still listened to, they're more likely to come back as "flashbacks" later. You'd remember something taught, out of the blue, etc.

It also helps out the more casual player base. It will allow them to hunt fora few minutes when they can get on, and give them decent experience gain the whole time. So hunting SLOWER actually gets you more experience, per kill, over the course of a characters life, however because you're hunting less often, you aren't receiving an unfair advantage over the powerhunter type. The powerhunter will still level faster, but there won't be what seems like an insurmountable wall for the casuals. I hated leveling and looking at 50K to go in GS3 when I stopped playing as heavily.

Anyways, comments?

[edit] Also, some type of in game mesasging would be nice. Like when your'e completely fried, the game tells you...

>Att goblin
>blah blah blah it's dead.
>You're dead tired and your movements have become very mechanical. >You don't feel that you're capable of learning much more at this point.

At the 15-30 marker, it could be..

>Att goblin
>blah blah see above
>You're getting abit winded, but your movements with your weapon are beginning to take on a good rythem(sp) as you identify your strengths and weaknesses.

etc.
Itharr
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Dec 11, 2002 (12:22 pm)

Postby xwielder » Jan 12, 2003 (2:29 pm)

I gots a question.... let's say I hunt for one hour on your proposed system. What needs to happen before I can go back and hunt totally refreshed with full exp gain? Leaving the hunting grounds? Logging off? A 24hr period? Basically, what event resets the timer?


~Paladin Xwielder Greystorm
User avatar
xwielder
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 20, 2002 (9:52 pm)
Location: Ohio

Well

Postby Itharr » Jan 12, 2003 (5:39 pm)

As an event timer, you could do this.

(And this is just examples, times may vary dependent on testing, etc).

Each person has to go through a certain amount of absorption without gaining any additional combat experience. This would be on a cascading scale with a minimum rest time. So the people who hunt 30-45 would have to rest X time to lower a "mind" level. The people who hunt just for the first 15 must wait 15 (just a thrown out number for the minimum) before going down to a 0 mind level.



-Ith

[edit] That was event timer. :)
Last edited by Itharr on Jan 12, 2003 (11:46 pm), edited 1 time in total.
Itharr
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Dec 11, 2002 (12:22 pm)

Postby GDALDANON » Jan 12, 2003 (11:09 pm)

I'm beginning to like this idea. ::howls evilly::



GD-ALdanon
Lore/History Director
GD-Aldanon@XXXXX.XXX
Eaxia Online
www.Eaxia.com
User avatar
GDALDANON
Eaxia Online senior staff
Eaxia Online senior staff
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Dec 28, 2001 (7:35 am)

Also..

Postby Itharr » Jan 13, 2003 (1:17 am)

You could do this with experience points instead of time. Say once a person has gained X% of their experience required for their next level, the absorption queue would kick in and start decreasing the immediate gain and adding to the queue. On a per hunt basis, of course. Per hunt being defined as once the queue reaches 0 OR 15 minutes have passed. If 15 minutes have passed and the queue is at a non-zero value, then experience will start adding directly to that queue level if hunting is resumed.

-Ith
Itharr
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Dec 11, 2002 (12:22 pm)


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron