Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Skill depreciation

Need help? You can contact us here or at http://www.eaxia.com/feedback

Postby GROVENBURGER » May 11, 2004 (11:03 pm)

He He! Just to be differant i love it! If ya don't practice you do get rusty to be sure- and yeah it is easier to relearn I agree.

I do think Drinking outta be a trade skill though! :wink:
The Dread Pirate Datymin and crew!

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GDEXXY » May 12, 2004 (7:37 am)

Brewing is one ;)
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby GROVENBURGER » May 12, 2004 (5:26 pm)

:idea: But I thought Brewing was a subskill of Drinking! Or is it the other way around? Let me grab a few and ponder on that 8-)
The Dread Pirate Datymin and crew!

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

I see the point..

Postby Aethacyn » Aug 30, 2004 (2:00 am)

Well I've been abck for a bit now, I see the point of this feature, however I think there should be a happy medium...

Exxy pointed out the top '10' skills that won't loose ranks as bad as your other skills. Why not use the idea of class skills, and cross-class skills? Not sure if these are still implented, but I could understand if it a cross-class skill would have some experience skill loss, from not doing it all the time.

Another suggestion for a happy medium, instead of loosing a full rank, have it only go down to the 0%, lets say you have 100 in medium armor, with 83%, the skill loss will only go down to 0%, granted if you only have 1% when you start, it will be a bit unfair to those who have 80%, but I know I was sitting in jung's cooling down, and working FA, and I lost some of my ranks, and heal did not even move, or when it did, I lost it.

Perhaps another suggestion, have the % loss be based on intelligence or wisdom, after you attain X number in an ability, your loss will be minimal to your highest skills, but your lowest skills the system stays the same. This makes sense because, you could say once people are older it gives a motive to raise intelligence, instead of having strength dwellers running around, since hunting is about all you can do, and I do. Or some sort of solution based off abilities. Perhaps a mix of 1 and 2 could help. Please vote on this guys! Let your voice be heard.

Another idea? I am just throwing all of these out, have it more based off the idea of, idling, if somebody is just sitting, maybe they can loose ranks, but I don't see how if somebody is RPing, playing castles, they should be loosing ranks, what if I hunted for 10 hours in one day, and played castles for 5 hours of that day? I would get some rank loss, but I just hunted?

I guess we need to look at the experience system as a whole, loosing a few %'s every hour is not TOO bad, if you look at the experience system as a whole, however with how hard it is to train sometimes, it is a different situation, I know being a thief, which is a weaker fighting class, I was in giants getting 10-15 experience, because jung's were killing me in one shot, I had to train weapons up super high just in order to live in jungs, so I could get more then 50 experience and not be hunting giants forever n ever.

Perhaps its a bit too extreme, but lets just work with the idea of the system, and put forth some changes. To be honest, I would recommend the system be turned off, until a good solution can be found, that all players and staff can agree on. These are just thoughts, I really believe, enough of a voice has been heard on these posts, that the system should be removed until a good resolution is made.

EDIT: I like the current changes, These kind of a post change idea list..
Aethacyn
Aethacyn
Forums Adventurer
Forums Adventurer

Postby 3V1LBUSHIDO » Aug 30, 2004 (11:59 am)

i am new...and i didnt read every single detail, so hopefully im not repeating much, but here are a few ideas...

#1. Depreciation doesnt start until the skill hasnt been used for say one week (gametime, not real life). So as long as you use skill once a gametime week it wont depreciate.

#2. Define a "basic" skill level and an "advanced" skill level and say that you cannot depreciate past the "basic" level. Like riding a bike, you will always know how (basic), but in order to be good at it you must be currently active (advanced). No matter how long you dont use the skill you will never depreciate lower than the basic level ie. (you will always know how to ride the bike, but must continuously practice to stay really good).

#3. Add a factor for skills you are rusty in. Maybe if you havent skinned something in a while then you have a greater chance to screw up the first few attempts until your back into practice. So if you havent skinned anything in a year, you could have a 50% chance to screw it up until you get some practice. Minimize that % slowly back to 0% until you are adept at that skill again.
3V1LBUSHIDO
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer

Previous

Return to General