Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Mana

Need help? You can contact us here or at http://www.eaxia.com/feedback

Mana

Postby SHRTY » Jan 25, 2004 (3:42 am)

ok. i think somethin really needs to be done about mana, or the amount of mana spells use. one of the two. when i healer in the high 30's and with 34 wisdom can only cast restoration 4 times. i thought we were supposed to get more spells this way, i'll be the first to tell ya i cant cast half the spells i could before. just thought i'd say somethin
SHRTY
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Re: Mana

Postby GROVENBURGER » Jan 25, 2004 (1:42 pm)

What I have seen from using the healing spells is that Restoration is a high level spell, and gives us twice the experiance of casting Lesser Restoration (and Resurrection!). If we only cast Restoration until the bleeders are down to deep slashes can switch to a lesser spell don't forget.

My mage can cast tons of lirst and second tier spells but when he satrts casting upper tier spells has the same problem. Its just a matter of making a wise choice of spell casting instead of pulling the trigger on your big guns for even the little shots. Can cast about 9 LR because recover enough for another in the same time I can cast 4 Restoration.
The Dread Pirate Datymin and crew!

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GDEXXY » Jan 25, 2004 (2:59 pm)

Good arguments both ways. To summarize our feelings on this, in general the higher spells are consuming too much mana. Yes, they're your "big guns" (I like that <g>), but the penalty for them is still pretty high... and not just for Healers, for other spell users.

We're still doing the class rewrites/rebuilds and when we get to Healers, all the spells will be re-evaluated and reconsidered.
GameDirector Exxy, CEO
Role-Players Gaming Network, Inc.
Eaxia Online, an adventure unlike any other...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network. Visit us online at http://www.role-players.com.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Postby ellisj » Jan 25, 2004 (3:18 pm)

True. Grovenburger, but by the time i get em down to even deep slashes,(which i didn't know lr would heal) i don't have enough mana to do anything else. and as far as mages an wizards go. i have a wizard and his lower level spells don't hardly do anything.
ellisj
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GROVENBURGER » Jan 25, 2004 (6:57 pm)

Yeah takes a long time for my mage to kill but his magic missile does wear em down eventually then he hits em with one big on when they start trying to run! Then again we only talking pirates and such since he a slow learner (Half-Ogre) :shock:

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby ellisj » Jan 26, 2004 (3:31 am)

One of the reasons i made this post was for healers, the other basically for wzards. what i wanted to say about healers is said, and the staff already knows how i feel about the wzards, even after the rebuild there is no balance for wizards. yes the lower spells take less mana an can be cast almost non-stop. BUT it takes like 5 minutes for me to kill somethin
an that's neither balanced nor fun. and is one of the main reasons you don't see my wizard around much, just can't get into huntin with him an there really is not much else to do. my barb now is exciting to hunt with. can just kill kill an kill. Josh/Bose
ellisj
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GROVENBURGER » Jan 26, 2004 (9:41 pm)

:oops: I did mean heal down to deep cuts to use LR!

And I do agree whatI was calling the 'Big Guns' for wizards use the mana too fast for the damage they do.

As far as healers go I was commenting more to say that if you can cast four Restorations in a row you should be able to cure anyone enough to stop their bleeding if they can last that long and if they can't should be able to get em cured enough to raise. True Resurrection takes a big bite (As it should) so requires a rest for mana gathering or some team work with a cleric, But its not like the dead person will run off on ya :twisted:
However during times when there are several patients I can see where your point is quite valid, and until a couple more healers are around or alchemy makes some breakthrus we gonna need all the mana help we can get.

Until we see what Exxy and crew have in mind for us I offer another soultion to hold you over - Start drinking heavily - it sure works for me to help keep me patient waiting for the Priest guild (hiccup!) :wink:

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby GROVENBURGER » Jan 26, 2004 (9:42 pm)

:oops: I did mean heal down to deep cuts to use LR!

And I do agree whatI was calling the 'Big Guns' for wizards use the mana too fast for the damage they do.

As far as healers go I was commenting more to say that if you can cast four Restorations in a row you should be able to cure anyone enough to stop their bleeding if they can last that long and if they can't should be able to get em cured enough to raise. True Resurrection takes a big bite (As it should) so requires a rest for mana gathering or some team work with a cleric, But its not like the dead person will run off on ya :twisted:
However during times when there are several patients I can see where your point is quite valid, and until a couple more healers are around or alchemy makes some breakthrus we gonna need all the mana help we can get.

Until we see what Exxy and crew have in mind for us I offer another soultion to hold you over - Start drinking heavily - it sure works for me to help keep me patient waiting for the Priest guild (hiccup!) :wink:

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby ellisj » Jan 27, 2004 (3:04 am)

Another thing on Wizards, it reallly reallly seems to me like when a level 28 wizard with 29 intelligence should be able to stun a rat for more than 10 seconds with his flash spell. dunno could be just me
Josh
ellisj
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby SHRTY » Jan 29, 2004 (2:19 pm)

eerrr uh
the wizard Should be able to stun the rat for more than 10 seconds.
Josh
SHRTY
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Postby LAGRAMGAJ » Feb 1, 2004 (10:12 am)

heh

A level 28 wizard with 29 intelligence should be able stun the rat for more than 10 seconds with his mere presence I would think.

I've always thought of wizards as more of 'support characters'. Not that a 28th level wizard shouldn't be able to just step on a rat and kill it, but maybe they need to find a hunting partner to really be effective. In just about every game I've played wizards always do better behind a tank. I'm not saying ya shouldn't have devastating spells that can wreak havok, because that's the whole point in dealing with magic. I'm just saying wizards traditionally don't go toe to toe with their foes. They stand behind the big guy and cast their powerful mana wasting spells strategically, until they run out of stuff to cast (and they always seem to run out of spells to cast) and then hide somewhere and throw darts or something else just as useless at the enemy.

Now I must admit, I don't play a wizard in Eaxia and can't really comment on the amount of mana used per spell and if it's fair or not. I just think that wizards need to team up with a hunting partner, and I don't think that there is anything wrong with a system that encourages the formation of hunting parties. I think there is a lot of RP value to a systemlike that. If you like to hunt alone, there are classes that are well suited for it and it will be easier to hunt whenever you want and level up. Wizards should be harder to play, harder to level up, but should also offer more RP value in general.

Lag...
LAGRAMGAJ
Young Forums Adventurer
Young Forums Adventurer

Postby SHAMAN » Feb 1, 2004 (11:17 am)

ok everyone knows tha idiot by now er least has heard of'em, an we ll know i don waggle me fingers...but i gotta put me two gold coins in here as well, sorry.

fer one im sorry i ahv ta agree wit Lagramjag. mages in my expierence have always been like those of the darker guilds. in some places this is different but here we follow some set rules tha kin nae be gotten away from.

a teef is nae eva gonan be tha combatant tha a common fighter is an a mage will have ta stake tha back seat along wit tha teef while tha barbarians, fighters, an pallys step up ta do wha they do best. next behin them would eitha be tha monks wizards an teefs in tha backround doin wha they do best, tho tha martial artists will prally come afore them unless they use weapons they are also second rate behind tha aformentioned 3, this is nae tha truth in all circumstance of course, as there are execptions ta every rule. but in genral wizards an their ilk are nae front line combatants an thus ifn it takes them longer ta kil their foe...it is as it should be, i agree tha mayhaps a few more critical spells may be added(thats upta tha ghods tho keep in mind) but even in this, will tha mage collection then complaine tha these as they were called, "big Gun" spells take to much mana thus promptin more sadnes an such? as a member of my guild i made certion sacrifices, one of witch was tha ability to take tha roll of a front line combatant. wha i gained is abilities tha they don an neva will have. asa finger-waggler yeh too have made sacrifices of witch yeh got in return some serious bonus'.

now i kin nae comment on tha mana situation as i don use it an bein an elf would orally have more than nuff...but in this take inta consideration tha race playes an has played even afore tha introduction or racial traits in yer mana situation. an lastly.....

ifn yeh kill yer prey in seconds ratha than minutes..wheres tha learnin?
ite been said many ways an since i kin nae say it anyotha way but ta tone it down..ifn its nar hard..its nae wertha (*&k!

jes me two coins werth...

Residant Village Idiot
Ty
cant stay in the square..i have an office now
(grinnin like tha mad idiot who jes swallowed tha Cheshire Cat)
SHAMAN
Veteran Forums Adventurer
Veteran Forums Adventurer

Return to General