Eaxia Online

official message forums

Return to main website

Carving Update

Announcements from the staff.

Carving Update

Postby GDPALLIDAR » Apr 26, 2003 (7:27 pm)

Carving is now a trade skill, so that it can be trained by carving objects. As such, it will no longer rely on the Craft skill at all. The difficulties to carve various objects are all different and in some cases it is possible to carve a "masterful" object that has special bonuses or aspects.

Additionally, carving weapons, armor and arrows will provide a very small amount of weaponsmithing, armorsmithing and bowyering skill, respectively.

Carving one's name on an object now carries an additional layer of difficulty.

Finally, some new carvable objects have been added. Enjoy.
:: Rich Mondy, CEO, RPGN
:: Trevor Rage [Haelrahv]
:: GD Pallidar [Eaxia]
GDPALLIDAR
Eaxia Online senior staff

Postby arriend » Apr 27, 2003 (11:30 pm)

Hello,
In response to the mentioning of training bowery, weaponsmithing and armory through carving, it does, infact train...and at an accelerated rate, to begin. However, at about 50% of a degree it seems to decrease so drastically that it takes well over 20 carves to gain a single % point from the system. I'm fully aware, as it's been said, that as you progress in your studies it is more difficult to learn new things, and I've grown used to that after training dilegently with other trade skills, however, 50% of a rank is awfully low, and I'm sure there is more planed to work the secondary skills that carving trains, but are there any suggestions on advancing the skill currently? Perhaps different wood has different difficulty to carve...or some other detail that would be helpful.
Either way, congrats on the update, that really added alot to the spectrum and builds anticipation for aditional skills' release. Best of luck on the task ahead of you all, you're doing wonderfully!
arriend
Elder Forums Adventurer
Elder Forums Adventurer

Postby GDPALLIDAR » Apr 28, 2003 (3:52 am)

We're still looking at the numbers and may make adjustments if needed. It's important to note, however, that unlike gemcutting and skinning, carving can done with a very, very plentiful material source and without any risk of losing a gem. :)
:: Rich Mondy, CEO, RPGN
:: Trevor Rage [Haelrahv]
:: GD Pallidar [Eaxia]
GDPALLIDAR

Postby GDEXXY » Apr 28, 2003 (3:55 am)

Also...

Carving items that can be used for armor and weapons, while this kind of activity DOES yield some experience in Armorsmithing and Weaponsmithing, this is generally not the primary activities used to gain these skills. There will be other processed involved if you are interested in targetting them.
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

Trade Skills

Postby Eowyn » May 3, 2003 (8:48 am)

As far as I can see, all these trade skills do is give you a way to waste time and energy. They don't give you one single point of experience toward your next level.

I see tons of waste left littering the lands, in arrows and other things left lying around by litterbugs.

The round times are immense and for someone like a healer, if a life saving cast of cure poison were needed the person would die before the round time was up to be able to prep and cast a spell.

Surely there are much more important things, like guilds that need to be taken care of before time wasting nonsense.
Eowyn
New Forums Adventurer
New Forums Adventurer

Waste of time?

Postby Ralath » May 3, 2003 (10:56 am)

To someone that is only playing in order to gain experience maybe these trade skills are a waste, but for many of us they are a role playing enhancement.

Personally I am looking forward to several of the future trade skills, that go with Trenmarc's background, I dont expect to gain experience from my use of a Trade. The trade is just part of my charcaters background.

Personally if you see it as a waste of time Just dont do it, and then you have no right to complain about it.

Trenmarc, The Gray Raven
Ralath

Postby GROVENBURGER » May 3, 2003 (11:20 am)

Eowyn,

Don't forget that as a healer you are going to need at least a little carving skill to make all those vials for potions. And on the Tremarc's response I know for a fact that Eowyn is not just one to chase ecperiance so i hardly think that was what she was saying. I do agree these are more of a roleplaying tool so you are on the mark there I agree. My fighter plans to be able to forge armor and weapons eventually and I think this is where we are going with these skills just as Exxy pointed out there will be other paths for is to find to develop those skills, and producing better armor and weapons have always taking great amounts of hard work and sweat and should not be something that is simple. My thief is unhappy that gem cutting not gonaa help his advancement to be sure since most thiefs are lousy fighters both they and mages are struggling even more than before to advance. I hope we gonna see something in alternate experiance for them soon to balance things a bit. Only time will tell, but in the meantime trade skills are an option for us to roleplay with definately. I like em somem but never planned on em to help me level anyways, so as usual I eat what on the plate I have before me and hit up the bar if I don't like what is available otherwise.
By the way we ever gonna see a way to distill our own alcohol? :twisted:
The Dread Pirate Datymin and crew!

GROVENBURGER
Grand Forums Adventurer
Grand Forums Adventurer

Postby Guest » May 3, 2003 (12:55 pm)

Exxy? Can we include bowery in the category of carving not being the only way to gain skill in it?

~Jinxa

Postby GDEXXY » May 3, 2003 (2:40 pm)

Trade Skills are intended to be used for a number of purposes. The most common of these purposes will be our forthcoming Profession system, which will be using Trade Skills to perpetuate their success.

Professions are a number of jobs or occupations a character, any character, can participate in and have an equal opportunity to succeed in that profession than anyone else. Because of how that equality works, no class-related information is awarded nor factored into the success of practicing a profession. Instead, practicing a profession (or a task that a profession will use) grants you experience towards a related trade skill.

Trade skills will be used (among other things) to produce items, capture animals, construct buildings, enchant players and items, etc. While none of these accomplishments will bear a player a direct experience award for their character class, some of these accomplishments may indirectly assist a player in gaining class-related experience, such as the forging of better armor and weapons, the enchantment of those items or weapons -- or players or necklaces, the construction of buildings and areas to forge alliances with NPCs that may assist them in battle, etc.

The Profession system real beauty and purpose is to lend a sense of purpose and community to players beyond their class/guild, as nearly all the professions are useful to many of the classes. There is a huge potential for role-playing the professions and I know some of you are excited to dig in! For those of you who aren't, while you may be missing out on some fun, you won't be penalizing your class advancement in any way if you do not decide to practice a profession or exercise trade skills.

While some of the activities you have been able to perform in the past are starting to yield some trade skill experience, the trade skill and profession systems are not fully developed nor ready for game-wide release. So as of right now, we are not releasing any professions yet. We intend to release many at one time (to help lessen the feel that you guys will need to choose from the few that are available).

Stay tuned to our Developmental Schedule And Direction page for details on further releases: www.eaxia.com/direction.php
GDEXXY
Eaxia Online owner
Eaxia Online owner

More on carving.

Postby Jinxa » May 6, 2003 (12:50 pm)

Just curious as to when we'll be able to carve bows, not just arrows. I hope soon.

Thanks,

Jinxa
Jinxa

Return to Announcements